PDA

View Full Version : Best gauge/exhaust package?

Randee of the Redwoods
09-26-2003, 15:46
Been working lots of FORCED ot lately. Money will be good, but I'm worn out and I STILL have to work tomorrow. Screw you, Isabel. I may have found the tires I need, but I'd like to ask a question about exhausts and gauge packages. You know, like Banks sells their exhaust with boost and pyro gauges. About how much will a package run? I'm gonna have some money to work with, but there are limits. I like the Heath exhaust for the money. I like Kennedy's Isspro gauges a lot. I like Banks "all for one" package price. Combine the three somehow and I'd have it made.

ucdavis
09-26-2003, 16:13
Certainly the door pillar mount guages are the slickest for your type of rig.
ISSPRO are great guages; AutoMeter guages are great or you get a bad one & send it back & get one that'll work great.
If I was being you, I'd do 3 guages:
Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure.
Last one is cuz 94/5 models have no backup for failed lift pump circuit which will fry your IP if undetected (IP will suck fuel sufficiently to run rig, but not enough when accelerating to lubricate IP properly). Some do tranny temp instead of fuel pressure for towing; I'd just add a larger cooler if that seemed like an issue & still do the fuel pressure.

Uncle Wally
09-26-2003, 16:21
Randee,

I have all the banks gauges - pyro, boost, oil temp, trans temp. Ordered them with a guage pod for the dash (it only has room for three gauges though). I put the three engine gauges in the pod in the recommended location (the pod was to large to place where Jim Bigley mounted his as according to the 1999 feature articles). I placed the trans temp in the cubby hole that used to be the factory radio. If I had it to do again, I would place two guages in the cubby hole (there is enough room) and place two on the A pillar. My truck is black and the heat from the sun melts the sticky tape enough to allow it too work it's way loose every once in a while.

I believe I have just shy of 400 in the whole setup. The EGT gauge is the most expensive by far, with the temp gauges at 60 each (if I remember correctly). If ya call Banks, they can price it out for ya in a mater of minutes.

Exhuast? Try John Kennedy's and Bill Heath's website. John has prices there. I think Bill does too. Banks does not have pricing info on their website - I know that for a fact.

Have fun!
Waldo

moedog
10-11-2003, 18:44
THERE IS A GUY ON EBAY TAHT WILL SELL YOU THE THREE GAUGE POD, 3 GAUGES MADE BY THE SAME CO. AS GALE BANKS USES AND SHIP IT TO YOUR DOOR FOR 295.00. INCLUDES EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE WIRE FOR THE LIGHTS. BEST IVE FOUND FOR THE MONEY!!
I FOUND HIM ON EBAY UNDER CUMMINS PARTS

catmandoo
10-11-2003, 19:34
my banks gauges all say isspro on the back.hey moedog 69 hurst olds eh then you could appericiate my 92 pickup with the w-30 hood scoops.

cruzer
10-13-2003, 09:21
I purchased the Banks kit about 3-4yrs ago. 2 gages boost & EGT, exhaust & K&N. Plus a scoop for inside the fender. Mines mechanical inj, so it came w/a longer arm for wastgate to increase boost. I purchased locally for about $700 for all. I think Banks wanted more plus shipping, thru them. Everything bolted up perfectly. From reading post and talking to Kennedy going up to 3 1/2" diameter after downpipe is better & 4" has minimal if any added performance. Kennedy told me to remove muffler to get more. I haven't done that yet, but it's on my list. My Banks' system is 3" to muffler and 3 1/2" on outlet side. The 4" stainless tip is cool. The system really flattend the hills. Just my experiences. I didn't know about TDP back then.

damork
10-14-2003, 10:46
I've been running boost (0-15), pyro, and trans temp (0-300F temp) Vision Series from VDO. I installed a lift pump relay for the fuel pump 100k ago and never had any more problems with lift circuit. So far the VDO Vision series matches the OEM gauges in color and are backlit.

Lots of rumors fly regarding who makes Banks gauges - I saw some that were identical to VDO Cockpit series gauges, maybe they have switched. Some tests revealed Autometer to have very accurate gauges but I've had very good luck with VDO.

Stewart Warner makes an electric fuel pressure system that will work for the pressures our trucks have in the lift system. I don't have the gauge number nearby, but the range is 0 to either 12 or 15 psi. If I recall correctly it was about $75 for gauge and sender.

Ralph Fichtl
10-15-2003, 05:21
I used Isspro for EGT and boost pressure(enhanced vision R3607TR EV and R5611R EV), B&M for trans temp (been moving this gauge from truck to truck for about seventeen years). Autometer for the
A-piller mount (www.dieselpage.com). Just order Kennedy 3 1/2 exhaust.

FrankieRider2
10-16-2003, 08:16
I too have the Banks PowerPack on my '93 6.5TD. I paid almost $800 for the kit through a local dealer, including installation. My kit too came with everything that cruzer mentioned in his post.

The gauge pod I have is a door pillar two-hole AutoMeter unit that I got through JEGS.

I have been very satisfied with the kit since I have had it on my truck, and would recommend it to anyone. It's a shame that Banks doesn't offer more performance accessories for our trucks. I would certainly look hard at them if they did.