PDA

View Full Version : ZF cold weather / break in information

More Power
01-15-2004, 10:51
I received the following email message from George Fahrenholz regarding a perceived driveability problem when shifting his new ZF 6-speed manual transmission. I forwarded George's email to ZF for their consideration. I thought the resulting email exchange might be of interest to others.

MP

--------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004
Subject: 2004 Chevy 3500 Diesel Transmission
I have a 2004 Chevy diesel 3500 dually with a 6 speed ZF transmission. When the truck is cold it does not want to shift into 3rd gear (I start out in 2nd then try and shift to 3rd - no amount of double clutching works) - once it has been driven a few miles and warmed up a bit then it is fine - any suggestions?

George W. Fahrenholz

Response from ZF:
Subject: 2004 Chevy 3500 Diesel Transmission
In order to more accurately answer the question, I need to get a little more information. Can you please provide me with the following information:

Mileage of vehicle:
Has transmission fluid already been changed?
If so, what fluid was used?

Once I have this information, it will be easier to attempt to diagnose the problem.

ZF / Best regards

Second email from George:
Subject: RE: 2004 Chevy 3500 Diesel Transmission

The truck has 1200 miles on it - I received the truck from the dealer in October 2003 (brand new). The transmission fluid is still original from the factory.

George W. Fahrenholz

Second response from ZF:
Subject: RE: 2004 Chevy 3500 Diesel Transmission

The transmission is not broken in yet. It is going to take some time (approximately 5000 - 6000 miles, possibly up to 10,000 miles) for the gears / synchro rings to "shape" themselves to match the corresponding part(s). This is normal break-in. Another factor could be the cold weather. If the temperature is below freezing, the trans fluid becomes thicker and will not thin out until it warms up. That's probably why the problem goes away after the vehicle is driven a bit.

ZF

CPMac632
01-15-2004, 15:04
My truck was somewhat stiff when I got it but that was in August. It was well broken in by winter but as with any manual trans does seem stiff to shift when the weather is cold. Also I had to replace a syncro in it and for approx. 2 weeks after that you had to use 2 hands to get it into 3rd. I was told it would loosen up and me along with everyone else I had drive it didn't believe it would but it did.

Jelisfc
01-15-2004, 19:30
1st gear was like for me. I finally forced myself to use it just to loosen it up. I can now speed shift 1-2 as best you can with this trans. I wish they wouldn't have put syncros in 1st or reverse. Mine took 10K before it shifted good.