PDA

View Full Version : 8 turns of torsion bar adjusters, still not level

c5dura
08-26-2002, 10:28
Hi all,

I just picked up my new truck last weekend and I'm very impressed with the power of the Duramax.

I got a 4WD 3500 and the front end was resting on the yellow stops. So I read the threads here about adjusting the torsion bars to compensate.

Well, I cranked both sides up 8 turns, which gave me almost 2 additional inches. However, the truck is still not level. I can maybe go another 2 or 3 turns before I run out of threads on the bolts and will need to 're-index' the bars on the adjusting cams to go further.

Are the 3500s that much higher in the rear than the 2500hds that it is not possible to get them level without making major adjustments?

Also, how much should I expect the rear to drop when pulling a trailor with about 600# tongue weight? I don't want the truck 'leaning backwards' when pulling my trailer.

Perhaps the rear will settle in a little lower after I get some miles on the truck?

This looks like a great forum!

Black Dog
08-26-2002, 11:07
The truck is designed so that you put 3000 lb in the bed to level it. That is not what the torsion bar adjuster screws are for.

Kennedy
08-26-2002, 11:10
8 turns is a LOT!

I'd find a good hapy medium, level side to side and have it aligned.

Dealers/GM recommends 5-6k miles to let things settle in prior to alignment.

c5dura
08-26-2002, 11:40
I only have 900 miles on the truck at the moment, so I haven't pulled anything yet. I plan to change the rear diff fluid this week (among other fluids), and hookup my trailer and drive around with a load for a bit to see how level things are.

I did find it odd though that the A-arms were pretty much resting on the bump stops from the factory. I was also getting some odd clunking supsension noise that has totally gone away now that I raised the front some. So I feel cranking the front up some was definately the right thing to do. 8 turns might be a bit much in the long run, we'll see. This truck will see some pretty rough terrain, so getting things out of harms way a little more was another consideration.

PS, my drivers side was down about 1/8 of an inch, but I contribute that to a full fuel tank. I'll meassure again when almost empty and adjust the high side down a bit, if there is a difference at that point.

Thanks again.

JimWilson
08-26-2002, 12:10
I did 6.5 turns on the DS and 1 on the PS and the DS is about maxed out now. Heck, I don't think I even had 8 turns to go on mine. That's an awful lot of cranking. You did get the front end aligned too, didn't you?

600# of tongue weight will bring the tail down a little, but you've got a pretty heavy-duty truck so it shouldn't be too bad. Also, the truck will settle a bit when things get broken in, but don't count on a whole lot.

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
08-26-2002, 12:46
Hi C5dura,

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum!

Although I often recommend turning up the torsion bars, perhaps you have them a little too high. I'd recommend maybe 6 or 7 turms on the DS at most and whatever it takes to level it side-side on PS. Make sure it gets an alignment after.

I don't think 600# is gonna bring the rear down appreciably. A lot of guys have used the Velvet Ride shackles. They bring the rear end down 1-1.5" and really improve the ride as well, loaded or unloaded. Do a search and you'll see a lot of positive comments.

Regards, Steve

stretch
08-26-2002, 16:42
SoCalDMAX ,
Congrats!!!!!! You hit the 1000 post mark..... That's alot of typing and WAY TOO MUCH to say. You must be a blast at social events !!! tongue.gif ;) :D

SoCalDMAX
08-26-2002, 18:21
OUCH!! and all this time I thought I was helpin' out... ;) tongue.gif

Regards, Steve

hammer
08-26-2002, 19:01
c5dura,When I put my 5th on my 3500 it only goes down about 2-3 inches at the most & I've got about 3,800 lbs. on the 5 'ver.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

c5dura
08-27-2002, 06:38
Thanks Hammer, that's what I was looking for!

SoCal, I might have to check out those Velvet Ride shackles, they sound pretty interesting.