PDA

View Full Version : Transaxle Seal Leak

Cancerman
08-26-2002, 12:45
Went to change my oil this weekend and found a nasty surprise!
Fluid was leaking from somewhere and had dripped from the skid plate and blown back past the tranny.
I tracked it to the seal on the 4WD transaxle (correct terminology?) on the drivers side.
I will take it to the dealer this afternoon, hope nothing got screwed up due to low fluid.
I am not a happy camper with only 15K miles on it!
Any words of wisdom to pass on to the dealer?

chipper
08-26-2002, 14:59
Mine goes in tomorrow, leaking tranny fluid around the O.D selonid or where the shifter mechanism is attached. only 28,000, already been in for axle seal leak.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: chipper ]
Guess What? If you overfill the tranny with as little as a quart of fluid it blows it out the vent which is on the top near the shifter mechanism.A lesson well learned !!

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: chipper ]</p>

mattb5150
08-27-2002, 00:11
I had the passenger side seal replaced on mine, noticed right after I got the truck. Had it replaced about a month ago at 20k miles wasn't as bad as your sounds though.

Matt B.

ram/tx
08-27-2002, 06:19
Hey Matb5120---Noticed you have the Bilsteins shocks installed. Can you tell any difference in the ride of your truck? I just order mine from e-shock last week, but wouldn't you know it, the rears are in and now the fronts are on back order. The place I work has a new 3500 Chevy truck that the rear wheel seals went out of at 800 miles. Hope this isn't another problem showing up for Chevy. What's going on General? :eek:

ram/tx
08-27-2002, 06:24
That Question is to Mattb5150, fingers don't work to good in the mornings. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mattb5150
08-27-2002, 23:25
ram/tx,

Yes I can tell the difference and so can my wife. I have had them on my 93 for a while now. I put them on the new truck because I could feel alot of small imperfections in the roads around here, which now seem to be smoothed out because of what I am attributing to the new Bilsteins.

Matt B.

Cancerman
08-28-2002, 07:10
Picked up my truck last night and found that they had replaced BOTH axle seals (#12471592).
Guess they did not want to take a chance on the other seal!

I was impressed that they did it in one day.
The service at Grayson Motors, Sherman, Texas has been great.

I have put Bilsteins on the rear and have noticed a difference. Don't get the little second bounce that splashes the coffee out of my commuter cup lid. Can't wait till the front ones comes in.

IndigoDually
08-28-2002, 17:17
Well now mine matches! The left front and left rear axle seals are leaking. Gotta add that to the list for the dealer along with finally (hopefully) fixing the steering rattle.

John

Cancerman
09-30-2002, 08:53
While putting on my front Bilstein's, I noticed that the drivers side seal is leaking again!

Maybe there is something causing the seal to go out?

Well, back to the shop today.

SoMnDMAX
09-30-2002, 09:50
Cancerman,

Chances are, either the seal was bad from the start (not too common, but it happens), installed incorrectly, or damaged on installation(easy to do). Worst case scenario, the seal surface on the CV shaft may have a poor surface finish OR it may be machined undersize, making a new seal leak after a short time.

I'd also try to find the vent hose for the front differential. It is possible that the vent hose is blocked or pinched resulting in a pressure buildup in the differential housing, which will push oil past the seal.

tpitt
09-30-2002, 10:05
Cancerman,
Not sure about the new pickups, but the older G.M.s have the vent right above the seal. This is what leaks a lot of the time. It is a screw in setup and we pull them and silicone them. We have found this numerous times. This is only on the driverside though. It looks exactly like it is coming out of the seal. tpitt

Road Kill
09-30-2002, 14:04
:mad: I have the exatt same problem. Looks like it is leaking right the seal. Will call dealer and get it in for repair. Will post how it turns out.

Cancerman
10-02-2002, 20:20
Picked up my truck this afternoon.
The problem was a loose drain plug!
I did not even get a "sorry about that" from them.
Then to top it off the cashier could not find my paperwork and keys for about 10 minutes. She was looking under the wrong last name. I guess she was being distracted by the two shop hands hitting on her while I was standing there!

GRRRRRRRR!!!

SoMnDMAX
10-02-2002, 22:51
So was she good looking? Sometimes some eye candy will make a bad situation much easier to handle. :D :D

I know, I'm a pig... :D :cool:

At least the truck was an easy fix....