PDA

View Full Version : Allison Trans and Exhaust Brake

Jake99Z71
08-26-2002, 15:42
I was reading threw Allison's FAQ and noticed something interesting. They have a page just for GM Pickups with Allison Transmissions. So I found some information on Exhaust Brakes and the Allison. Here it is.

"Q. Exhaust Brake - What is the effect of an exhaust brake on the transmission?
A. Exhaust brakes are widely used in the medium/heavy duty truck market, and Allison publishes guidelines for integrating exhaust brake controls with the TCM. This integration is necessary so that the transmission can alter its shift characteristics to maximize the exhaust brake

Jake99Z71
08-27-2002, 15:20
I thought a few people here would have been interested in finding out how to do this.

Where are our Allison Techs????

motovet
08-29-2002, 18:41
Sounds interesting to me,but I must say that so far the the B.D. brake has worked flawlessly with the tranny in my opinion. All seems the same with the way the grade braking works... just get more of it. I have noticed however sometimes after turning it off I get an occasional wierd or harsh shift. But then again I had that happen before I got the brake.

Jake99Z71
08-29-2002, 19:08
motovet,
I agree with your post, but I would like to see how much better it could be with the TCM interacting with the Exhaust Brake. I know SteveO made a comment about the Allison Preselect with an Exhaust Brake. Would be nice to use all the features the Allison has to offer us.

motovet
08-30-2002, 00:45
OK Jake you got me thinking about this. I would definately like to find out more about improving the performance of the braking. As you can see I can't seem to stop finding ways to improve this truck.