PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking of getting a crew cab instead of ext. cab

Jorday
04-30-2003, 06:47
because I'm really having trouble finding an ext cab duramax truck that I like. Almost all of the ext cab trucks I find are longbed, and I don't want longbed. The other thing is that they are always beat up bad. I like the way the ext cab truck looks over the crew cab, but I found this crew cab truck and it's a really good deal. Seems like on this site most people have crew cabs. I guess it would be a lot easier with a crew cab hauling 4 sleds and 4 people on snowmobiling trips in the winter. So, talk me into it!

Jordan

Vivayo
04-30-2003, 07:19
Jorday:
My old truck was an ext cab. More utility than my Dad's reg cab, but my crew cab is great. My wife talked me into it over an ext cab I was looking at (because she liked the color better;) and I'm glad she did. Just another facet of "you can never have too much truck".
Get the crew cab - IMHO, you won't regret it.
Charlie

johnpugh
04-30-2003, 07:26
Love my crew cab!! :D

Really, I came out of an extended cab truck and while the room in the back was useful, getting to it was a real pain. I have two kids with one still in a child seat. With the child seat installed, the youngest had his feet constantly in the back of the front seat.

Another thing, pull into a parking place with other cars parked on both sides of you and try to let people out of the extended cab. Let's see, open one door to the left and the little suicide door to the right. Now I have a door to the left of me, a door to the right of me, a car behind me and a truck in front of me. It's called a parking lot trap. A crew cab solves this problem.

The crew cab has the room for the kids, more space for storage of things. Also, in my case, the crew cab is quieter because the wind noise of the flip-out extended cab rear windows is gone.

Later...

millietom
04-30-2003, 07:38
Crewcab is only nine and a half inches longer than extended cab.

Tom

K1XV
04-30-2003, 08:37
I think the extra B pillar between the front and rear doors adds to the overall rigidity of the cab reducing flexes and potential for squeaks and rattles.

A friend of mine who is a total Mercedes Benz nut and who hates SUVs loves my Crew Cab SLT GMC with Duramax and Allison. He is amazed at how comfortable the seats are, front and rear, and how much leg room there is in back.

Get the Crew Cab. You won't be sorry.

MaxRock
04-30-2003, 09:17
I love my crew cab. I also have 2 kids, 13 and 10 and the extra room the crew cab provides is great. My previous truck was an extended cab and the change to a crew cab was on of my better ideas! The extra room makes traveling a lot more relaxing.

I have a long bed in addition. The 34 gallon tank is nice. I can travel over 600 miles between fill ups.

Go for the crew cab, you will not be sorry!

MaxRock

HDLD
04-30-2003, 10:56
FWIW, I'll add another vote from someone who's moved from an EC 1500 to a CC 2500HD. With 2 young kids, it makes a big difference to me. On the '03 at least, the rear seat belts are also nicer and you get 3 full sets instead of 2. The turning radius is a bit of a pain at times even with only a short box but mine is used mostly on the highway.

In short, I'm very happy with the change to a CC.

Mark Heiken
04-30-2003, 13:14
I went to a crew cab in 98 and have enjoyed the extra room and 4 real doors every time I'm using the rig. Passengers can get in and out of the back seat without the front door being opened. Big plus when hauling the family, snowmobilers, or customers. :D

Mike Fultz
04-30-2003, 14:12
Take the crew cab, the dog loves it, wife thinks it's pretty good too! smile.gif I too had concerns, but they are gone now. I like the room, I like the extra doors for when I do have passangers. I like having the extra cargo area a.k.a. the back seat, to keep goodies out of the weather. I had to sleep in the back seat a few weeks ago when I went racing... not too bad.

Mike

JMJORDAN
04-30-2003, 16:49
My wife and I love are crewcab! It is so nice to real backdoors and comfortable seating for four adults.

Victory Red
04-30-2003, 17:24
I also upgraded to a CC vs a Xtend cab. Reason, a 3rd child in my life(15, 13 and 10 mnths). I miss my long box(try finding a c/c 2500 w/ long bed, it's not easy), but the extra few inches is fantastic, and no more complaints about the fold out windows since 'it has real windows now'.

Jorday
04-30-2003, 17:26
Thanks a lot for the awesome replies guys! I really appreciate all of the opinions and information. The used truck I drove today was a really nice truck, 2002 GMC sierra HD SLT duramax, CC/SB. Only 9000 miles on it, it was in really great shape. Unfortunately, they were asking a little bit more than I wanted to pay. Since the truck was so new, it was actually more than I can get a brand new truck for because of GM discount. They were asking 34000 for the used truck. With GM discount I could can get an ext cab shortbed 2500 HD silverado LS for 32. What you have to remember in this situation is the brand new truck that I was looking at stickered for only 40k, while this crew cab SLT truck was much more than that new. I figured that I might as well go for the new one if I'm going to spend that much money.

I didn't know that the crew cab was only 9.5 inches longer than an ext cab truck, I always thought it was more.

I was thinking that although the crew cab would be really nice, I'm single, no girlfriend, no pets, and I hardly ever even drive with more than just me in the car. I know the crew cab would be fantastic for snowmobiling trips, but I wonder if I really should spend the extra money on it. I guess I'm kinda thinking out loud here, only I can decide. Only reason that I'm getting extended cab is so I can throw stuff in the back.

For right now, I'm just going to keep looking until I find just the right truck.

Thanks again for the info guys smile.gif

Jordan

Raptorrider2001
04-30-2003, 18:09
What I don't like about my Ext. Cab is the lack of a door post between the two doors. They do not fit tight and rattle. On a hard bump, you can see daylight at the top of the door. Wind noise is high also. Next time it will be a crew cab for me.

David Proske
04-30-2003, 18:51
I bought a 03 ext cab about a month ago. I already kinda wish I would have gone with a crew cab.

At the time I used the same reasoning as you, its only me in the truck 98% of the time. I went from a reg cab cause I haul a lot of equipment everyday to work; there was no room. As it is now I am going to put a topper on it and haul my duty gear in the back.

The way I feel now I might as well had got a crew as its not that much longer, I already spent a arm and both legs aready, and a crew is much nicer when I do need to transport the beer drinking buddies.

txguppy
04-30-2003, 19:19
Just DO IT ! Get what you want, not what you'll settle for. You'll eventually regret settling. Also, GM has 0% / 60 mos. financing on ANY new GM vehicle.

Good Luck,
txguppy

GMC-2002-Dmax
04-30-2003, 20:47
Jorday,

Crew Cab short box is the same wheel base as a Ext. Cab long box. Give or take an inch or so....

I had an EC and always wanted GM to build a SB Crew and they finally did :D

I too have 3 kids, ages 12 - 9 - 7. We just took a trip to NC and my 02 was very roomy and comfortable to ride in. My brother in law stands 6'3" and has plenty of room.

If you don't need it for kids and don't plan on anyone riding in the back - I WOULD STILL OPT FOR THE CREW CAB ;)

Good Luck.

GMC :D

Heavy Duty Neil
04-30-2003, 21:02
***QUOTE: I was thinking that although the crew cab would be really nice, I'm single, no girlfriend, no pets, and I hardly ever even drive with more than just me in the car.***

I'm the same way, I'm the only one in the truck 99% of the time and I don't regret getting a crewcab over an ext-cab one bit. You have to pick your parking spots more carefully, but it's no big deal. Went on a fishing trip a few weeks ago with 4 other guys and it was nice that I didn't have to get out everytime someone in the back seat had to get out to take a leak or grab more beers. :D

Look at it this way too, if you are planning on keeping the truck for a long time you might as well go all out and get the CC. It's only ~$1500 more....and you never know, you might meet a nice gal, get hitched and have a few young-uns. If you get the CC, you won't have to upgrade. smile.gif

pontiac_m18
04-30-2003, 22:17
hi Jorday & let me throw in my $.02 worth. I worked at Pontiac east 7 we leased a ext. cab a couple of years back. We quickly went to a c/c when the chance came. I drove ove to Lansing area to get my 2001. I loved my truck & wish i had planned better for retirement as I had to sell it. BUT i will be getting another one & won't hesatate to buy a used D/A one. If you are still looking for a c/c. I have a salesman that can probaly hide you one in our area. Last week, someone was looking for one & he had 8-10 that he can swap for in the area. E-mail me if you want details!! G.M. discount, no problem!!Howard = howard_m18@yahoo.com

Silver Bullet
04-30-2003, 22:25
This is my first CC and first diesel...my previous 3 Chevy's were x-cab and gas...I don't think I will ever go back on either.

Joe P
05-01-2003, 00:56
First diesel,first CC ,wanted the long bed but would not fit in garage.I have plenty room for 2 kids a ton of fishing gear boggie boards coolers etc,or all the hunting gear and clothing i can stuff into the back.Anyone who rides in the cab,always says how roomy the cab is, get the CC you will like it.

Jorday
05-01-2003, 06:11
Fitting in the garage is another issue that I forgot to mention. I have a really short garage because the garage was kind of an addition to the house and it didn't end up being able to be as long as I would have liked. With some tape measurments, I found out that an ext cab short bed will not have enough room to walk in front of or behind when the garage door is shut. So, even though the CC/SB truck is only 9.5 inches longer then ext cab/SB the Crew cab might not fit at all. If it does, it's gonna be tight in there.

Guess I need to figure out what I'm gonna do. smile.gif

Heartbeat Hauler
05-01-2003, 13:55
I have a 01 ext cab 3500, my previous truck was a 94 3500 crew cab(loved it). I bought the ext cab so I could fit in the garage (24x24) and it just fits. However, my wife wanted a ZO6 vette so now my truck sits in the pole barn...I shoulda got the crew cab.
I vote Crew Cab.
JP

conradv
05-01-2003, 14:03
I got a Crew Cab Long box. It SURE is nice to be able to put 8' 2x12s in the back and SHUT THE TAILGATE... smile.gif

oyazi
05-01-2003, 14:49
I for one am not sorry for getting an EC. I too have a garage problem. Opening the clam style doors in a crowded parking lot isn't an issue for me because I don't take my baby where it can pickup door/shopping cart dings anyway. I would think the pods of the 3500s would be a bigger concern. If manuevering in tight places were any more tedious like it would be w/a CC I would be less happy. Did have a rattle wind noise that I didn't notice on the test drive but the dealer made an adjustment. So far, no beer drinking buddies/dogs etc in my life so I'm content w/the EC. As for sleeping ~ if I could find some way to rotate the seatbelt stubs on the front benchseat I suppose I could sleep there if I had to. Our son had a F**D crew that is really tuff to manuever. His only complaint. This is not to say CC are bad as look at all the happy replys ~ just the EC have a place.

SoCalDMAX
05-04-2003, 17:44
Alrighty,

Let me throw in my .02 here as well. Just got back from the river/desert and the CC held all 3 coolers, clothes, sleeping bags, electronics and valuables in the back seat; while keeping the front seat open for passengers. Not to mention the sand toys in the bed.

As a single guy, you can appreciate this: 6 drunken women and myself can fit in a CC while bar hopping in San Felipe. A little cozy, but no complaints. What single guy wants to get lucky in the backseat of an EC? I'm not as slim or as limber as I once was. :rolleyes: Who wants to put their truck in the garage anyways?

As a single guy, I'm tellin' ya, we're buying these things for the power and the room, to haul the toys and the boy toys. Get anything less and you might regret it.

When everyone is standing around figuring out which truck to ride in, mine is one of the top choices. Although I'd like to think it's due to my sparkling wit and scintillating conversation (try saying THAT while drunk), I'm pretty sure it's just a cool truck with a lot of legroom.

This is my 1st diesel truck and 1st full sized truck, never even considered anything but a CC. I agonized over the LB vs SB, ended up getting the SB and figured I could buy a slider 5th wheel hitch and get along just fine.

Regards, Steve

DuramaxDicko
05-04-2003, 18:46
Jorday,
Looks like everyone is saying to go for the CC, I have to agree.
My first CC was back in '77, Chevy big block 4X4 and was my work truck, had a buddy that we worked together (layed floors)so needed the big truck.
Back of cab carried our tools (locked up) and the bed held our material/supplies. But there were many times...that there would be close to 30 of us that would go camping or the river (Colorado) and since back then, I had the CC and the best sound system, I would have 5 others with me..good fun. (but with that truck, it was 9 miles to the gal, loaded, unloaded, around town, freeway, going over cliff...didn't make any difference, was 9 miles to the gal)
Since then, I bought a new 4X4 Nissan King Cab in '83, could get people in back, but they were very uncomfortable, again mostly used for a work truck.
Then in '89, bought a new GMC 2500 Extra Cab, was close to buying another CC, and kicked myself in the butt many a time because I didn't get the CC and tried to use reasoning that I didn't need it, was too big, cost more..etc..etc..
again that truck too is a work truck... 107k mile on it... still running strong and everything works in truck.
BUT...I ordered my NEW truck about 3 weeks ago and ordered the CC with everything you can get on it, except 4X4... just won't use it. Have had 3 4X4's, '73 Blazer, '77 Chevy CC, '83 Nissan.. still have the Nissa and the '89 GMC.
OK...enough is enough...boy I am going running off at the mouth.... anyway, think real hard about the pro's and con's of the Crew Cab.. you will see that the need of a CC will be there.
Good luck with your purchase.
Dick :D :D :D

Jorday
05-04-2003, 23:04
Hey,
Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days, was on a fishing trip. The truck search continues this week. I'm considering a cc more seriously now after all these good replies.

Thanks again for the replies,

Jordan

BigO
05-07-2003, 23:34
Just remember that you are single now. Who knows the family may grow.

I am in for the Ex C. I have an old lady and two dogs. Have no omplaints about the Ex. C

AKDmax
05-07-2003, 23:45
Crew Cab! Ex. cab doesn't ride near as nice as a crew, it's convienent. Alot of the trucks you see on the road today are crews. It's kind of fun to pull up next to one of those little ford crews with a 2 foot bed. Why spend all that money and get a ex. cab? You won't be sorry with a crew.

c5dura
05-08-2003, 08:46
Thought I'd add my vote for getting a cc. I have been wanting a new truck for a long time (other truck is a tired '81 F-150 4x4 regular cab).

I plan on keeping this truck for a loooong time, so I went all out and got a 3500 LT CC LB loaded with every option available. Sure rides nice and all the beer drinking buddies can fit in it comfortably. The only issue is trying to park this monster in regular size parking lots, you more or less end up taking two spots, but I have yet to have anyone complain about that.

Flip those rear seats down, and you have a TON of room back there. Also works great for my big german shepard dog. I can power the rear windows down so he can poke his head out, and then close them again if he looks like he's about to jump out after someone.

Btw, I took it to the scales the other day and was shocked to learn this thing weighed in at over 8000# with just me and a full tank of fuel in it!

Rebel_Horseman
05-08-2003, 08:57
I really like my EC truck. It does everything I need to do and the room in the back seat is good enough. I'm single, but I do have a girlfriend that is with me most of the time. We go to rodeos a lot and her folks always go with us. If we pull with my truck then they sit in the back and if they go in their Ford ('96 extended cab F250 PSD) then I'm sitting with my knees in my chest. My truck is very comfortable and I wouldn't have a problem sitting back there (I'm 6' 195#'s to give you a reference point). In hindsight, I would have bought a crew cab dually, but I really like the performance and styling of my truck and I practically stole the truck considering what I paid for it. Since you don't tow much then towing capacity (max trailer weight, GVWR, etc) isn't a concern. I'd say get exactly what you want while you can afford it because in the long run you probably won't be happy. If you want the EC and that fits you best then go for it.

Reb [><]

cmtndmax
05-08-2003, 23:53
Had all the diffent cab styles over the years. I am finally up to the CC. Only regret I got got the SB instead of the LB. 18" of space would be nice some times. The main thing is your paying get what YOU want. (THEY ARE ALL GOOD)

[ 05-08-2003: Message edited by: cmtndmax ]

[ 05-08-2003: Message edited by: cmtndmax ]</p>

DURAMONSTER
05-10-2003, 00:41
I Got a crew cab and will naver go back.