PDA

View Full Version : Road Salt on my new truck

MaxACL
01-29-2003, 15:56
After several weeks of cold and salt on the roadways up here in NJ, I have seen several times an accumulation of a solid salt buildup on the exterior of my pretty truck. Each time I would promptly find a car wash and wash, and scrub everything off. I get down on my hands and knees and spray the undercarriage with soap, rinse water and a shot of wax to the best of my limited ability, considering the onset of old age. However

JimWilson
01-29-2003, 16:34
Hosing it off as soon as possible is still your best bet, especially the undercarriage. But realistically, I don't think there's anything that can prevent salt from causing damage (other then storing it in a garage all winter). Salt will find it's way into every nook and cranny.

I live up in Warren county NJ (anywhere near you?) and have noticed that the road crews have been WAY overzealous with the salt this year -- almost as though they felt neglected because the last 2 winters have been mild, so they're trying to make up for it. I've hosed my truck off more times then I can remember, and considering the fact that a warm day over this past month has been 20 degrees that's saying something. But it seems more often then not my truck looks like it's been painted white...

mackin
01-29-2003, 17:50
Do You own a Pressure Washer ???? I would think this might lend a hand...I keep mine handy this time of the year.......

MAC :D :D :D

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

tonyskid
01-29-2003, 17:56
Hi Guys,
Do what I use to do when I lived in upstate NY, when the weather permits or in a heated garage but your everyday lawn sprinkler under the truck and let it run for a few minutes. It works great just like if you were under there spraying it yourself but not getting wet. Another way to time it right is to open a cold one when you start and turn it off when done but if you are like me it will take two cold ones to do a good job. :rolleyes:

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: tonyskid ]</p>

01-30-2003, 05:15
Anywhere the salt gets fresh water should also dilute it enough without scrubbing. The car washes use recycled water here so your truck in essence is washed with salt water, not good. Always wondered why the ground never iced up at the car wash. I agree about the use of salt this year. Seems road crews are dumping it out to use up their budgets or something.

Paintdude
01-30-2003, 22:00
I am very glad I rustproofed my truck this summer..I even sprayed the underside with a mist of it also..Axles housing,driveshaft,backside of the bumpers,etc..

MaxRock
01-31-2003, 10:07
Hey MaxACL, we are not having any salt problems down here in Texas! Wish you were here!

MaxRock

MaxACL
01-31-2003, 15:25
Max Rock and All:

Leave a light on in the window. These bread crumbs don't work too well.

Mike :D