PDA

View Full Version : 38 dollars for Tran. Filter

truck31
08-27-2002, 17:16
I went to GM parts department to get a transmission filter. I was told they were out of stock . I almost fell over when he said he would order one and the price was 38 bucks. I told him I would try another dealer and he said that the prices do not vary that they are the same through out the country. I think he's nuts but I wanted to run it by you guys. What the hell is going on? All so I had a couple of tires put on the front of my 3500. The back tires have about 20,000 left on them but the front were shot. What had happened was they cupped or chopped on both sides of the tire. The center of the tire was fine . The tire man said because I did not rotate them was the cause of the problem. I put a pair of all season firestone steel tex r4s-10 plys on. I figured by the time the back are gone it will be time to change all six. I am going to get a front end alinement to be safe. I have been reading about tires and size on this sight and am completly confused . Everybody has his or her choices or what ever. This is the best and only place to come though for help. Thanks , Art

bbattrell
08-27-2002, 17:21
I buy mine from a Allison dealer 8.87.

AKDmax
08-27-2002, 17:26
I'll help you out on the filter problem. Go to this site and enter your zip code. http://www.vicinity.com/allisontrans/startprx.hm

This will tell you where the closest Allison dealer is. You will find the filters are about 8 bucks through an Allison dealer vs. the Stealer.. Good luck

As far as tires, someone else will have to chime in on that. I am still ridin' the original Bridgestones.

FirstDiesel
08-27-2002, 17:50
Actually it depends on your Allison Dealer. Mine is a stealer too. 24 bucks for the filter, which I bought like an idiot not knowing any better. Someone posted a place they dealt with via the phone in Maryland that had real good prices on all the Allison stuff. Can't remember the name.

Idle_Chatter
08-27-2002, 20:42
That was me, FirstDiesel, Johnson & Towers, Inc.
6861 Distribution Drive, Beltsville, MD 20705, (301)937-8700.

thechevyhdman
08-27-2002, 23:01
Hey Carmel New York, Not too far from me, My girlfriend lives right over there in Brewster. If you want Ill sell ya one for my cost 7.80, I got like 2 left. And Im in Brewster almost every other day, Well meet at Kellys if ya want. Throw me an email Gmanjr96@aol.com

ndamico
08-28-2002, 00:58
i bought mine at Stewart Stevenson in Sacramento. Price was about $8.00. also bought my deep pan & tranny filter. took 1 day to get and was very inexpensive.

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-28-2002, 06:27

My "stealer" did mine and I got charged $17.00 for the filter. I knew the cost was gonna be around $8-10 anyway so I really didn't feel I could cry alot about it. Yeah it's double but $6-8 more is cheap ins. if the Alli ever developes a problem.

They still charged me to spin it off and spin the new one on with a fluid top off. IIRC it wound up costing about $38.00 for it all. Robbery??? Yes, but I don't want to drag out receipts and argue with GM about the lack of proper maintenance on my truck should something happen.

I know I am probably spending more on my service than I should, I know the receipts would help me, but I just don't want to go thru the B**LS**T if anything goes wrong.

GMC ;)

dcpdave
08-28-2002, 09:13
truck31,
are you sure that 38.00 is for the spin-on filter? we sell the spin-on for about 16.00, the in-pan filter for 37.00, make sure they are ordering what you want.
hope this helps,

truck31
08-28-2002, 17:20
AKDmax , I went to the Allison sight and found one close by . I am going North to the Catskills tomorrow and will be going right by the place.
dcpdave , now that you mention the pan filter , that is what it must have been. The prices the stealers charge are rediculous , I would go 20 miles out of my way just not to buy from them.
thechevyhdman , I appreciate the offer and would like to take you up on a beer one day in Kellys.
Want to thank everyone for the quick responce.

Wiley
09-24-2002, 13:58
ndamico,
Did Stewart & Stevenson do any of the service work for you or just supply parts?

I want to convert to the deep pan and Transyn at my 25K service. I'd rather have someone do it if I can locate a shop.

Of course, the dealer won't flush it, but I wouldn't trust them anyway.

LanduytG
09-24-2002, 17:47
We got um for $12 and if you buy 6 filters at a time, of all one filter or any combination of trans and fuel filters we pay the shipping.
Greg

hoot
09-24-2002, 18:22
$8 at an Allison distributor.

letsgo
09-25-2002, 05:05
$38.00 sounds like Canadian price for the spin on filter, in Florida I bought them for $15.00 each.

I would never use an after market filters again, I turned out the by-pass valve pressure was to low in the filters so the oil wasnt being filtered and the engine died from to much wear.

DDD70
09-25-2002, 08:43
Trans Filters
Bought 3 from Watrous Detroit in Calgary.
They are Authorized Allison Dealer.
OEM filters (Red) with Allison logo.
Cost $8.50 Can-$5.39 USA.