PDA

View Full Version : Cruse Control Question

White Knight
05-02-2003, 05:20
Started out the other morning and noticed that my cruse control wouldn't function. It gave no responce. Dash light wouldn't light and speed wouldn't set. I turned it off and back on at the stalk on the steering column, but no change. Stopped at the first rest area and pulled the fuse and found it was OK. Started the truck and pulled back onto the Intersate and found my cruse was now working properly. Is this just a "grimlin" and the system needed a "re-boot" (engine start), or do I have a problem that should be addressed by the dealer. The truck is a D/A and I have about 25,000 miles and 18 months service. This is the first time I have experienced this problem with the truck.

Your thoughts?

Sam

mackin
05-02-2003, 06:05
I believe your Gremlin is operating Temp ..... The cruise won't engage untill a certain temp is reached.....

MAC ;)

ram/tx
05-02-2003, 06:06
White Knight--That happen to me one time. I had just pulled away from a rest stop and could not get the cruse control to engage. Turned it off and on a couple of times and punched the button real hard allot and still nothing. Drove about 5 miles down the road and tried it again and like magic it started working again and this was 5 months ago and I have not had a problem sense. Hope it was just a one time thing, I am still in warranty but not for long. If you find anything please let us know, I'll do the same. 24,000 on the D/A.

ram/tx
05-02-2003, 06:24
Mackin---My problem with the cruise control could not have been operating Temp. I had just pulled into the rest stop 15 minutes before I pulled back out. Wife and Dog had to go pee-pee, you know how that goes. :eek:

LarryM
05-02-2003, 08:56
White Knight:

This has happened to me a lot. It's real frustrating to pull away from a rest stop and not have the cruise working! However, quite by accident, I discovered that if you tap the brake with the cruise "on", you can then set speed normally again. Software glitch, I guess.

Lone Eagle
05-02-2003, 19:48
Mine refused to work today for the first time in 26K miles. I was at temp entering the freeway. While fueling up I pulled and reinstalled the fuse. Cured the problem. Sounds like this is a hard reset for the cruise module. Later! Lone Eafle :D

wakely
05-02-2003, 20:05
Same as LarryM,
Just tap your brake and it works now.
Happened to me several times!

Tinbender
05-03-2003, 11:17
I've had the same problem that is cured by taping the brake pedal. I felt that it might be that the stoplight switch might be adjusted a little to close and giving the cruise a sense that you are braking.

Bob

Bill Knieper
05-03-2003, 20:01
I recently had the problem with the "Service 4 wheel drive" indicator and 4x4 buttons lights going crazy and the cruise control would not work. After several stops the 4x4 indicators and cruise went back to normal. As you know, GM does not have a fix for this problem.

White Knight
05-04-2003, 04:11
Thanks so much for your feed-back on my cruse control "grimlin". You guys are great at sharing information. If I have another occasion where my cruse will not work, I will try the old "brake tap" trick.

See you down the road!

Sam

wushaw
05-05-2003, 09:46
Just like what Tinbender said, Just tap the brake pedal to jiggle the brake light switch. It has a very sensitive contact.

MNR
05-06-2003, 11:40
I had a similar problem that was related to outside temprature. If the outside air temp was below 30F, the cruise would disengage when hitting the resume/accelerate switch. The problem would go away after the cabin warmed up.

The final fix was replacement of the stalk.

Paul

conradv
05-06-2003, 13:37
Personally, I wouldn't use cruise control when it's that cold anyway, as the roads are probably icy - the truck doesn't know the difference if it's at 3/4 throttle and sliding sideways down the road or at 3/4 throttle and driving normally down the road... ;)