PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks leaking....?

Mic
08-28-2002, 09:22
Any one know if our shocks are filled with fluid?

My right rear seems to be leaking fluid.
It's all wet up to where the inner meets the outer.
I don't see any other leaks that might be causing blow by onto the shock.

Could I have 'blown' out my shock? :mad:

hoot
08-28-2002, 09:27
GM seems to use poor OEM shocks. One of my fronts started seeping at around 10,000 miles.

Colorado Kid
08-28-2002, 10:07
All shock absorbers, even "air" shocks and "gas" shocks use oil forced through orifaces as teh "absobrber" Air just pressurises the shock to give it some load carrying capacity, and gas is used to prevent aeration of the oil, so it can keep doing it's job in severe circumstances.

Once the oil leaks out of your shock it will be doing no damping at all, (which isn't far from the original condition of the factory shocks on these trucks) so you are in the market for new shocks. I doubt that you'll be tempted to try another set of factory shocks. My recommendation (based on reputation and reports here only, I haven't tried them yet myself) is Bilstien.

Jimamatic
08-28-2002, 10:34
Mic,
I replaced my OEM shocks with a set of Bilstiens.
They are not cheap but well worth it. 240 bucks
for four. It makes a difference. My rear oem's
were shot after only 8000 miles. From what I've
read on the forum, Bilstien is the way to go.

Jim.
-----------
2500hd Chevy LS CC SB D/A

moisheh
08-28-2002, 18:02
I dropped the rear shocks on my 3500 and checked them last week. There was little or no rebound or compression. Still under warranty. Took it to dealer. They said shocks were fine. I insisited they undo the bottom mount and showed the service mgr. how bad they were. He goes to parts dept. and gets a new shock. We pumped it a few times and guess what: It was just as bad as my old ones. Moral of the story: The OEM shocks suck!! I could not get a set of the new ranchos and the bilsteins for the 3500 are on back order. Installed Monroe Reflex. Not bad.

Paintdude
08-28-2002, 18:30
Check out these shocks..

http://www.kingshocks.com/shocks.htm