PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Window

wxmn6
05-03-2003, 10:45
I have extended cab with the GM window tint option. It appears that only the extended cab windows and rear window are tinted only. But do any of you know if this GM option also tint the front driver and passenger window and the windshield too? I am not sure if those are slightly tinted too because it seem to be just a bit darker than a clear glass window? Factory tint? Anyone know the percentage of tint for each window?

I do snowplowing and I find it would be difficult to back up at night so I might want to take the rear window tint off. How do I do that? Is the tint film located inside or outside the truck? How do I peel it off? Can it be saved and reused over again each year in the summer or would it do more damage than good? I heard that once you take the tint film out and put it back on later, it is more difficult to take out the next time?

Anyone that could clear out this confusion? :confused:

Thanks! :cool:

mackin
05-03-2003, 11:31
"I might want to take the rear window tint off. How do I do that?"

Throw a rock threw the window ...... tongue.gif

Just Kidding the tint is between the panes ...... Wish aftermarket glass could be bought to replace glass in stock vehicles to match tint location and darkness that would be sweet......

I'm on a mission now to get my windows done in the coming weeks .....

MAC

[ 05-03-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

imported_
05-03-2003, 12:37
Window tint comes in a variety of colors, styles, strengths (determined by how much light they block) and qualities. It goes on the inside of windows and can be removed but not reused.

Here in toon town, and all of SK, it is illegal to have any decal (this includes window tint) on any of the front windows. This includes windshield, ds & ps windows and vent windows. I think it falls into the same category as loud mufflers, raised or lowered vehicles etc. The coppers usally let it go unless you are doing something stupid. About twice a year they throw a raid on everyone at check stops and take a huge tax grab.

I have all my windows tinted, including those on my cap. At night you can not see a thing through the rear view when backing up.

wxmn6
05-03-2003, 21:31
That's interesting. I never knew that the rear window (at least) have two panes of glass. That might explain why it seems to be so thick.

I do like the tint window on the rear, it looks good. Also it should keep inside of my truck cooler in the summer. But it won't be fun trying to back up 200 times in the dark when snowplowing and you can't see very well. So I guess I will be better off taking the rear tint off, sometime this fall before the next winter season. I should be ok without the tint afterward. Just got to let the truck cool off for a couple extra seconds. Those climate system are great.

So, when it is time for me to take the tint off, how do I take it out? Do one pane come out while the other pane is still in its place, and then peel out the tint film? I understand that the tint film cannot be reused but can the panes be reused and put back together? Or is it impossible to do? :confused:

Minn-kota
05-03-2003, 21:50
I'm positive you cannot un-tint the factory windows. It's a colored glass that's used. The only way would be to find an untinted window or have it replaced with a clear one at a glass shop.

oyazi
05-04-2003, 10:06
The glaze panels are inseparable ~ they're laminated w/a vynle/plastic/adhesive substance that is intended to hold the shards together when shattered. Its safety glass that thats the nature of safety glass. Not to mention ~ Federal law.

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: oyazi ]</p>

carnutsx2
05-04-2003, 10:53
Just an idea, how about making a bracket that slips into the hitch. You could put a couple of high-output driving lights that would plug into the trailer plug? I see this on a lot of open sled trailers.

Diesel Dragon
05-04-2003, 20:11
wxmn6

You can not un-tint the factory tinted windows. the glass is tinted that color when it's made and it cant be undone. The reason the front windows are not as dark is because its against the law to have it tinted so dark that a cop will have a tough time seeing inside. Everything behind the drivers window can be painted black if you wanted too.

Later Diesel Dragon :cool:

thechevyhdman
05-04-2003, 22:55
WXMN6, You will find out when you start plowing with the truck, the auto-dimming rearview mirror in conjunction with the tinted rear window, gives you more trouble then just the tinted windows. Of course I dont use my rearview mirror till after I hit 5 commercial accts, and Im on my driveways. Neck starts to hurt. I had tinted windows on my 95 truck, they were great(couldnt see the steering wheel with your nose upto the drivers window) Except when you start backing upto something black. Word of caution, please dont use the rearview mirror to back up. Bill

Ranger354
05-10-2003, 11:38
A couple well place lights under the rear of your truck and attached to the existing backup lights work great. I use mine all the time at night or early in the morning backing my trailers around. Never any problems seeing. I also have a switch mounted next to the trailer light plug so I can turn them on when I am outside the truck and need a litle more light closing gates and such at night. I have the darkest tint you can get on my rear window and back doors. Let me know if you want to see some pictures. jim

P.S. And NO you can't see anything but headlights through the rear veiw mirror at night. But I would rather use the sides anyway!

pontiac_m18
05-10-2003, 13:11
HI WXMN6 & this is the way I had mine. I went to ZBART & had my "BABY" z-barted & they sprayed in a Rhino-Lner at the same time. They talked me into getting "Limo-Glass" & I loved it!! The "BABY' had the dark tint factory package BUT Limo-Glass was another darking tint. The tint #s were 5% in the rear window & 20% in the rest. On a limo all the glass is 5%, to give you an idea of how dark it is!! It was 5% light through the rear window & was very dark through the day. After dark it was impossible to see through the rear glass. I even used my cargo lights as I backed up! It worked BUT WOULDN'T DO IT AGAIN AT 5%. The rest of the truck got 20%.It was great!! Will do it to my next truck in a heart beat!!! In 95 degree weather, I would run A/C for about 5 mins. & AFTERWARDS WOULD RUN RECYCLE AIR (#2) FOR THE REST OF THE DAY!!!! This was driving around with 5 people in the truck in this weather for 8 hours!!!! Cost around $175? 3500 c/c D/A. Howard :D :D :D

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-10-2003, 19:28
MAC,

Silver Lining in Danbury. Best guy around. Lumar tint is lifetime guaranteed.

The wife's VW is 6 1/2 years old with the tint on it, still perfect. 20% all the way around.

Hey, you got mail :eek:

GMC

mackin
05-10-2003, 20:03
GMC-2002-Dmax

I got mail ??? :confused:

Just mail from hot chicks with web pages .... They say they want me ... Bet they say that to all the perv's ....

Is that you sending me that stuff day after day ?? Quit it,enough all ready ..... ;)

MAC :D :D :D