PDA

View Full Version : Towing w/Lifted Truck

afp
01-23-2004, 20:58
Anyone tow with a lifted truck? Say with a 9-12,000 lb tag trailer? Is this a problem?

Blaine

cruzer
01-26-2004, 13:26
Is it the truck in your profile? If it has aftermarket lift you would have to get w/the mfr.
to see about that kind of wt. it can handle. The wt cap. of the hitch and the drop down reciever would be of concern. If it is the truck in your profile it probably won't work w/LT tires. I'd think you would need E rated tires atleast. The other problem is the oversized tires and the wt you are talking about and what effect it will have on the brakes.

DmaxMaverick
01-26-2004, 13:53
As cruzer says, the truck will handle the load. The wink link would be the hitch and adapter. You should be using a weight distributing hitch, which should also handle the load. Definately check with the manufacturer(s).

The tires should be of no concern. The tires you have should be D rated at 3305 #'s, which is conciderably higher than the OEM's (E rated at 3042 #'s).

The height of you lift may be an issue. I would suggest hooking onto another similar trailer before setting up your rig. There may be some serious control/handling issues.

I tow a 12K 5'er (1800+ # pin weight) with my 2001. It has 285/75/16 Bridgestone Duellers (D rated at 3305 #'s) on 16 X 8 Centerline wheels. No problems in 3 years. The truck hauls the load better with the current setup than it did with the OEM's. Brakes are excellent, and are still stock original at over 70K.

All this being said, I see trucks/trailers like this all the time, and know a few people that do it with no problems.

Cheers

mdrag
01-26-2004, 15:58
afp,

You might try posting your question in the Towing 5th-Wheels & Travel Trailers Forum.

cruzer
01-27-2004, 10:28
Not all E rated tires can carry the same load. The same can be said for the other letter codes too. There should be an actual max load the tire can handle on the sidewall along w/the letter code. IIRC my E's are max 3450lbs.

afp
01-27-2004, 20:27
I have found a bunch of info. The bottom line is towing a heavy tag trailer with a 4-6" lifted truck is a non-issue. I will probably install the 4" Rancho kit eventually. I am sure my current equalizer hitch won't work, so I'll have to find a dropped equalizer hitch, which also won't be an issue.