PDA

View Full Version : Fan Clutch and towing?

threeman
10-08-2005, 10:44
Guys I have had a few duramax's pickups since they came out. I currently have a 3500 4x4 CC, 2005 model. I like it better than the others. Its bone stock. Here is the situation.

I tow alot with this truck. About 90% of the time it has a trailer on the back. Mostly goosenecks. I haul normally a 14k load and the fan clutch seems to run and excessive amount. Its flatter than hell in south GA so its really not in a bind. I have power but I guess it building heat somewhere. I have had it come on for 10 miles or better straight without cutting off. This week while towing to KS from GA it came on alot in the hills and mountains of AR and north GA-AL. The tranny up shifts fine but doesnt downshift to my notion correctly. It will not downshift until you have nearly lost all momentom and after you loose at least 7 mph or better. Cruise or not. When it does down shift its nearly redlining and for sure sounds as if its going to blow. My fuel mileage while towing is 9. Checked it twice going and coming. 9 to 9.5 on each tank. Normal driving it will get close to 10 maybe 11. Unloaded driving the fan clutch rarely comes on and I get about 17 or so. The tranny normally runs at 180 or so but I have had it to 210. Truck 99% of the time is at 210 but I have had it to 220.

I am wondering if I should have bought something with lower gears and heavier suspension.

Any suggestions?

threeman
10-08-2005, 11:16
I also used the throttle to full capacity trying to maintain 70 or 75. I finally started just flooring the throttle just before going downhill to maintain the speed going up hill. Sometimes I was running way to fast before the climb started but dang I didnt want to loose so much speed. All of this was with tow haul and I also tried it without tow haul.

Kennedy
10-10-2005, 04:49
ODLO can be used to force a downshift from OD if you so desire. A bit of power will also help maintain speed, and there are some simple mods that you can do to enhance cooling.

Edge Juice or EZ with a Boost Stick will help a TON with towing power. Propping your plastic splash pan down at the rear should provide better escape path for hot underhood air.

Are you near Atlanta? BMDMAX has a well equipped 2005 and could likely help.

threeman
10-10-2005, 09:57
Can you guys point me into some directions about cooling adds or mods? I would definately be interested. I have two Diablo programmers for 03 duramax's..any suggestions as to what to do with them?

Also JK did you get my email about edge products?