PDA

View Full Version : Care and feeding recommendations of the DMAX in ND in NOV

adamsclimber
10-08-2005, 19:55
Well, folks it looks like my Bro-in-Law and I are headed East in a few weeks to N.Dakota to try and knock down a few ring-necks. What I could really use is any advice for a DMAX owner coming from a relatively temperate climate such as WA to ND in November to keep my truck happy in the potential cold we may run into. Thus, keeping me happy on what has the potential to be a great trip. Thanks to all in advance!!

More Power
10-08-2005, 21:12
Generally, Alberta Clippers (frigid Arctic air) don't make their way into Montana and ND till sometime in December, so you'll be fine. The fuel in both states is winterized in time for the expected temperatures, and your Duramax is designed to deal with cold temps. In the off chance something unusual happens, you might want to toss in a couple bottles of Stanadyne's anti-gell fuel treatment. However, if it gets cold enough to need it, you'll likely not be doing much pheasant hunting. :D

Jim

adamsclimber
10-09-2005, 18:48
MP thanks for the heads up, there will definately be a couple of different types of anti-gel formulas packed along...the ones for the truck might be handy as well. :D

With our luck, if you folks get nailed out of the blue with some nasty weather, you'll know that we're in the area.

Seriously though, where we are looking at staying, there may not be much chance to use the block heater if things get a little or a lot chilly. From the folks such as yourself that have to deal with the weather and these great trucks any advice as to when to go ahead and use the front cover, how much if any air to allow. Button it up completely at night to hold heat...Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first winter with the new toy and I'd prefer not to muck things up to badly...of course if do...might be an excuse to go look at the LLZ's :D

Mark Heiken
10-10-2005, 05:37
Don't sweat it adamsclimber. As long as you have thin fuel, thin oil and good batteries that thing will start at -20 without being plugged in. The winter front will help the heater output. I usually have mine on when it gets down around 10 to 20. Seems to help the engine warm up quicker and helps the heat output when cruising down the highway.

Relax had have fun dropping those birds.

rat4go
10-10-2005, 07:47
I've run my 'Winterfront' grille cover (didn't use the bumper cover) on my UNLOADED GMC at ambient temps into the 50's without running noticeably warmer coolant temps. I'm headed to Montana from Michigan next week, and I'll probably run it all the way there if it doesn't get too warm. I've found that it helps MPG a bit, too. My theory is that it's like the NASCAR boys taping off the grill at the superspeedways - less air thru the radiator/front end is less drag.....

Kennedy
10-10-2005, 09:33
FPPF Total Power treatment is my suggestion. This will cover most anything you could encounter this early in the cold season, and for that matter most of the winter if treated hard enough.

adamsclimber
10-10-2005, 11:09
Thanks for the help gentlemen, it is greatly appreciated. Now really looking forward to swatting a few birds with a much easier mind. Thanks again!!

fanzdslpwr
11-05-2005, 14:34
make sure you use mobil 1 5w40. its the best diesel oil on the market for extreme cold starts and for those extremely hot days also.