PDA

View Full Version : 1993 4L60E Transmission

Dylan Finch
10-10-2005, 21:51
I have a couple of questions -

First - I have moved my trucks with the Allison 1000 to Transynd synthetic oil and noticed better mileage and performance. I was wondering if other transmissions such as the 4L60E can be moved to the same oil.

Second - I am wondering where is a good place to purchase crate transmissions online.

Thanks for the input!

rat4go
10-11-2005, 07:31
I'd use Mobil Synthetic Dexron-III in the 4L60e if I were to go synthetic. My guess is that you won't see the same economy benefit with the 4L60e, however, as it doesn't pump as much oil due to a variable displacement pump, it probably warms up faster than the LCT, etc.

I'm no help on crate transmisions other than the dealer - I don't tend to trust the aftermarket remanufactured units as I have a pal in the trans business and he's seen too many horror stories with many of those units.

Rich

mark45678
10-15-2005, 17:55
my buddies shop has used nothing but Jasper products for the last 3 year , He's had great luck and they stand behind there product if something does go wrong! Gm also has a good trans swap service , the last time I got a le80 it cost 1750.00 with the core returned! 12 -12,000 warrenty on it across the USA at any gm dealer also! :eek:

Dylan Finch
10-28-2005, 07:48
I was able to visit the local Detroit Diesel Allison dealer (Smith Power Products in SLC).

I brought them a new filter and gasket and they converted me over to the Transynd fluid, which I determined would work. The transmission already shifts better, I'm very impressed. I would recommend that others with older GM transmissions other than the Allison do the same. It's 7.73 a quart for the oil, but only has to be changed every 100k.

As for new transmissions, I could find no better deal than a factory reman at the dealer. 1800 for a 4L60E with a 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty.

Inspector
10-28-2005, 13:55
I had Smiths in Salt Lake trasfuse my allison after putting on about 7000 miles. They also installed the deep pan and corresponding filter extension. It has shifted very smoothly since then and runs cool. They also replaced the spin on filter at that time. Fluid color is bright orange. I'm due a spin on now.
I'm happy.
Denny