PDA

View Full Version : allison transmission filter change

chagburg
05-06-2003, 18:58
Is changing the transmission filter like changing an oil filter? Do you have to add fluid after you change the filter? What is the magnet
I've heard to be careful about losing? Thanks for all advice in advance.

FirstDiesel
05-06-2003, 19:01
What I do is remove the old filter, the magnet will most likely be sitting on the top of the filter. It looks like a flat donut. Remove the magnet and throw away the old filter. Take a new filter and fill it with tranny fluid, put the magnet on the filter and reinstall. Start and check for leaks, then check the tranny level. Most likely you will not need any more fluid.

chagburg
05-06-2003, 19:45
How much tranny fluid do you buy and where and what do you get?

scduramax
05-11-2004, 04:42
Changing the transmission filter seems pretty straightforward. BTW, I must of missed the initial filter change. Hope all is still well. :confused: Is changing the transmission fluid easy too or should I take it to someone who knows what is going on? Also, I don't tow anything right now, so should I consider changing with Transyd or just stick with oem fluid? I like the fact that I would not have to change my fluid as much if I go with Transyd.

scduramax
05-11-2004, 04:44
Forgot to say I have 27K miles on my truck.

DMAX LEGEND
05-11-2004, 16:30
Seems to me that I read Allison says the internal filter needs to be changed only at transmission overhaul. Does that sound right or was I dreaming that one.

motovet
05-11-2004, 21:14
You will loose 10 oz. when changing the filter. Take off filter, install new one(with magnet), pour in 10 oz. fluid.

Mudflap
05-12-2004, 00:33
Easiest way is just to fill the filter with fluid before you screw it on. It is a straight shot so none should be lost. That also sturates the filter media prior to starting. The internal filter should only be changed at overhaul. I change the spin-on every other oil change. My fiver weighs in at 14,000 pounds.

VtwinMax
05-16-2004, 16:53
What is the capacity of the transmission; how much ATF do you put in if you drain the transmission and change the filter? Thanks.

Raptorrider2001
05-26-2004, 13:52
7 1/2 qts. if you just drain the pan plus what you put in the new filter.

James Hewett
06-14-2004, 16:38
I'm do to change my Allison filter, do I have go to a GM dealer to buy a filter or will NAPA or any auto parts store have one of those ATF oil filter? What is the filter #? Did I see that Dextron III fluid is the correct fluid?

jbplock
06-15-2004, 03:07
James,

The Allison Spin-on filters are available from GM but they are less expensive when purchased from an Allison dealer. Several TDP advertisers also sell them. Dexron III is also the correct fluid.

smile.gif

James Hewett
06-16-2004, 05:53
jbplock, thanks for the info. I can't beleive that the filter sells for $25 I got it close to $18 WOW . Where do I find an Allison dealer?
Do you have a dealer in upstate NY?
How much do you think a GM dealer would charge for such a simple service? I'm glad I do my own work.

jbplock
06-16-2004, 07:45
James,

I bought several alli filters mail order for $8-9 each. The Allison website (http://www.allisontransmission.com/) has a dealer locator and some other good info as well - look for Allison 1000 series. This link (http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=product&action=view&product_id=16168&category_id=278) is where I bought my last batch of alli filters. I'm also not sure what a dealer would charge to change the filter but like you said, I'm glad I can do my own work. :D

[ 06-16-2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

northofthe52nd
07-07-2004, 10:18
What is the recommended mileage to change the Allison filter? 2002 D/A 2500

jbplock
07-10-2004, 06:08
IIRC, Allison recommends changing the spin-on at 5k miles then filter and fluid changes at 25k/50k (normal/severe service). The internal filter only requires changing at overhaul.

You can also download the Allison 1000 Series operators manual HERE. (http://www.allisontransmission.com/publications/)

smile.gif

jbplock
07-10-2004, 06:08
IIRC, Allison recommends changing the spin-on at 5k miles then filter and fluid changes at 25k/50k (normal/severe service). The internal filter only requires changing at overhaul.

You can also download the Allison 1000 Series operators manual HERE. (http://www.allisontransmission.com/publications/)

smile.gif

ZL-1
07-11-2004, 17:23
Question when changing the external spin-on filter? Should the tranny be hot when changing the filter, or can the tranny be cold. I know it's best to change the motor when hot, but what about the tranny? Thanks.

Idle_Chatter
07-12-2004, 03:21
ZL-1, I would recommend cold and probably after sitting overnight. There's no real "suspension of contaminants" or flow considerations like in an oil change because you are just swapping out the filter and not looking for a drain/flush of lubricant. This will also allow some drainback in the tranny and reduce the amount of drippage from the filter connection when you pull off the old cartridge. Do remove, thoroughly clean and reinstall the ring magnet. Fill the new filter full with clean ATF and you will replace all but a couple of ounces of the ATF lost in the swap. You will also prevent pushing a slug of air through the system at startup.

northofthe52nd
07-30-2004, 13:32
I followed the maintenance schedule for my '02 D/A and nowhere did it instruct to change the tranny filter at 5K nor the rear lube. I tow a 31' 5er once or twice a year and now have 47k on it. These services are due at 50k. I have not noticed any noises, etc. but now after becoming a new subscriber and reading all of this, I am paranoid and thinking I should trade it in and start over.

atvpilot
07-31-2004, 13:51
I bought my truck with 24K I know have 46K and just had the dealer change the tranny filter and fluid while it was in for an Oil and filter. Again how often should you change the tranny filter and fluid???

northofthe52nd
08-16-2004, 12:05
I just did my first trans. fluid change at 48k mi. The fluid looked almost new. I only tow my 31' 5er once or twice a year for a total of less than 5k mi. I will however change it more often since it was so easy to do.

More Power
08-18-2004, 13:18
The recommended Allison service interval is 25K for severe service and 50K for normal service. I suspect "severe" service could include mostly towing (or hot-rodding), and "normal" service as not much towing.

MP

Tray B
08-30-2004, 17:14
Just asked my dealer how much to change the fluid...

you ready for this???

$140!!!!

ACK, COUGH, Doooo WHAT!!!

Me thinks I will change it myself! Where can I get Transynd?

chipper
08-31-2004, 08:36
Tray B,
Any Detroit/Allison service shop will have both Transydne & the spin on filter.

Turbo Al
11-21-2004, 21:48
btt

HDV-rod
11-22-2004, 04:14
I haven't touched my trans fluid or filter either, and it still looks and smells fine. 46K and counting.

I'm thinking on using Transynd and a deep pan when I do change the fluid, but, then again, the OEM stuff has lasted this long and I'm pretty much done with all my towing adventures.

HELENA TRANSMISSION
11-22-2004, 19:23
heres my two cents on the subject.the internal filter on the allison is made of the same filter material as almost every automatic transmission filter on the market "dacron".these filters require replacement every 20k-30k.almost all transmissions today have a magnet in the pan.so the only difference being the allsion has a spin on in addition to the everyday transmission filter.that everone can get to and change easily.but at what point should you be thinking about the internal filter? is that little spin on enough filtration with 22qts of fluid in the system to keep the internal filter 100% clean for the life of the transmission.i dont think so.remember gm also sells transmissions for a living.my recommendation for these hd trucks is a spin on every 10k and the internal every 30k.the other plus in removing the pan is to check transmission condition.you dont really get this by removing the spin on.sure there is a magnet but friction material is non metallic and what if the pieces are large your never going to see those in the spin on they stay in the bottom of the pan.wouldnt you like to know this before your allison goes out of warranty $$$.during a transmission service you should be draining the pan and adding the 8qts of fresh fluid to replenish the system anyway.has anyone looked at the new amsoil torque drive.cheaper than transsynd.made for the allison transmission.

hd90rider
11-23-2004, 17:04
FWIW, I change the spin-on every 25k. I also am towing Rv,s 70% of the time. I dumped the fluid at 98k & it & the internal filter were still clean. Dumped it again at 198K interal filter still good. Dumped it again at 372k. finally filter was starting to get dirty.I use Amsoil in my tranny & it has done a great job. To date,(knock on wood) the Ally has never been worked on, still stock. 02 1 Ton Dually

DarylB
01-06-2005, 01:45
Originally posted by hd90rider:
I dumped the fluid at 98k & it & the internal filter were still clean. Dumped it again at 198K interal filter still good. Dumped it again at 372k. finally filter was starting to get dirty.I use Amsoil in my tranny & it has done a great job. To date,(knock on wood) the Ally has never been worked on, still stock. 02 1 Ton Dually Hey HD rider, you got pictures? 372k on the D-max? Nice

B1powered
01-07-2005, 11:06
Amsoil makes a great Synthetic fluid specifically for the Allison Transmissions.
It costs less than the "transynd" ripoff too.

Synthetic in a automatic is a great insurance.

Ardie
01-07-2005, 14:29
Funny? I changed my 04 LLY Allison spin on the other day and saw no magnet at all on the filter. Could it have been elswhere or should I be concerned?

Madd Max
01-10-2005, 19:53
Ardie,

I changed the tranny filter on my 04.5 LLY at about 7500 mi. It had the magnet and the magnet had some metal shavings on it. I believe the 5000 mi. filter change is probably to trap and get these shavings from breaking in a new transmission, out of the system. Just my 2 cents but I would think your filter would have caught these shavings, but I think you should get a magnet in there asap. When I changed mine, I knew nothing about the magnet. I found it when I was checking out the old filter before throwing it away. And after the new filter was already installed. The Member HELENA TRANSMISSION could probably tell you if this may have hurt your transmission. Hope this helps