PDA

View Full Version : Auxillary fuel tank/toolbox diamondplate combo?

Bobcat698
08-30-2002, 21:26
I am looking for a Auxillary fuel tank for my 03' Long Box Crew Cab Duramax that is coming in the first week of October.

I am looking for something 80-100 gallons & that has a decent amount of room for tools.

It needs to be able to open INSIDE a tall topper, & I would prefer diamond plate.

I found a 90 gallon & the thing weighs over 100 pounds empty & costs $599.

Does anyone have any links to other tanks?

BTW, it needs to leave enough room so I can hook up my 5th wheel horse trailer, that is the main reason I am buying an Auxillary tank so I can make one shot to Colorado without stopping for fuel very often.

Also, how would I hook something like that up, with the fuel cooler & all with the Duramax Setup?

I was thinking a switch in the cab to select the Auxillary tank or the stock tank, but was wondering if I would run into problems with the fuel going back into the stock tank.

Thanks for the help in advance :D

Garrett :cool:

Maverick
08-30-2002, 21:59
I don't have one but DetroitBob has just the tank in his bed and it fills his stock tank automatically and has a digital display of gals in the stock tank, gals in the aux tank and total gals of both tanks. Very slick set up. His is from Transfer Flow. I am pretty sure they will have a tank for your needs or can make one for you. www.transferflow.com

How are you gonna run a gooseneck with a topper?

Bobcat698
08-31-2002, 09:37
We're not, its coming off when we leave for the trip to Colorado.
But, it will be put back on when I get back.

I saw them on transferflow.com, I see they even make a filler neck that goes through the side of the topper.

Garrett :cool:

GBurton
08-31-2002, 11:14
Garrett
Check out auxtank.com I have their 90 gal tool box tank combination. It sits in front of the wheel well and no problem with the 5th wheel hitch. Transfer between tanks is controlled by a switch that you mount where you want. The actual tank switching is done by a "off the shelf" electric fuel valve that is setup to switch both the supply and return fuel lines. In addition it will switch your trucks fuel gauge between tanks. Good set of instructions come with the tank.

George

imported_
08-31-2002, 17:52
I've got a 52 gallon tool box combo that works
well,diamond plate aluminum with about a foot
deep tool box on the top.I use a electric fuel
pump to transfer fuel as I drive.It cost about1/3
of those transfer flow tanks,but I don't have
the fancy gauges.

TBC
08-31-2002, 21:28
I have a 42gal fuel tank combo that I got from Northern Equipt. They have some larger tanks for the long bed trucks and tanks without the combo. I like the combo for tools and stuff even though it is only about 9" deep. The valve MUST be a 6 port valve if the system is set up to switch tanks. The return fuel has to go back to the tank it comes from otherwise when you are on aux tank all fuel will return to the main tank and it will overfill and cause problems. The valve is available from various sources but can be difficult to locate. I bought mine as a kit with switch valve, etc from Auxiliary Truck Access in Garland, TX. www.auxiliarytruck.com They also sell tanks. It comes with instructions to set it up and is not difficult. The hardest part is cutting the factory stainless steel fuel lines and mounting the valve. I mounted the switch in a recessed area on the dash just to the right of the AC outlet on the outside of the dash.

A word of caution when running on the aux tank. Be sure you know what the empty fuel level indication is by checking the gals when you fill up vs the capacity. Don't wait for the low level light to switch unless you set the gage float high enough to ensure some reserve. I let my get too low once in the mountains with all the sloshing around and it suck air into the system and turn on the SES light and then went into limp mode on a pull up a long grade in the mountains. That was an experience. Read the owners manual about the SES light and low fuel or leaks.

I still have the wiring diagrams and fuel line diagrams if you need them. email me at tbcobb@mindspring.com Love my tank setup and it keeps me running a long time going to CO, etc. I can run for about 4 or 5 weeks at home without fueling up. BTW, some places still give discounts for fuel purchases over a certain number gals if you use the big truck pumps. Truckers aren't happy when you go in there but they will get over it. Happy trails.

Bobcat698
09-01-2002, 10:55
I am looking at one right here:

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=58819&prmenbr=6970

AM I correct to assume there is a float already in the tank?

What I am going to do is order the tank & take it to the dealer, then when the truck comes in, they can install it to their specs so as not to void any warranties.

Do you think they could hook up the "fuel gauge sending unit" so I could read how much fuel is in the tank?

Thanks for the info.

Garrett

TBC
09-02-2002, 11:35
The gage that comes with the tank is a mechanical gage and does not transmitt to the truck. The kit I bought from auxiliary truck in Garland, TX came with a float type sending unit that transmits to the gage in the cab. You have to splice into a wire at the main tank. It is connected into a switch so that when the valve is switched the gage is also switched. What I found was that the tank companies won't sell there kit to you unless you buy their tank and most of them were several hundred dollars more than what I paid. O'Rielly Auto Parts could order the valve but I was looking for the full kit and finally found it at auxiliary trucks. I called them before they had a web site. I just went to their site and this is the link to the installation kit. http://ecatalog.advantageopn.com/default.plx?a=/5/369
You might check out their tanks also. If I can be of help let me know.

Tom

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: TBC ]</p>