PDA

View Full Version : New A/T Fluid from GM

Onebigcanuck
10-13-2005, 10:45
I was at the Dealers this AM and was told that GM has a "BETTER" transmission fluid now available.

I was told it can be used in all Allisons but the previous fluid cannot be used in 2005/6.

True ???? False ????

:confused:

taznj63
10-13-2005, 16:51
It might be transynd it's what allison replaced the Dexron III with.

jbplock
10-14-2005, 00:45
They may be referring to the latest Dexron-III "H" spec

"A/T - DEXRON III(R) (H-Revision) Specification Upgrade
Bulletin No.: 04-07-30-037
Date: September, 2004
Subject: Release of DEXRON(R)III (H-Revision) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

Models: 2005 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks with Automatic Transmission/Transaxle

DEXRON(R)III (H-Revision) ATF

General Motors has recently upgraded the DEXRON(R)III ATF specification.
The upgraded specification is referred to as DEXRON(R)III (H-Revision). This upgrade will ensure that ATF's are commercially available to match the quality and durability of current factory-fill ATF. Fluids that meet the requirements of the H-Revision are labeled as "DEXRON(R)III", Approved for the H Specification".
The fluids labeled as DEXRON(R)III , Approved for the H Specification can be used in any transmission application which specifies the use of DEXRON(R)III , IIE, II or DEXRON(R) ATFs. DEXRON(R)III Fluids that DO NOT meet the H-Revision will not be licensed after December 31, 2004."

smile.gif

rat4go
11-02-2005, 06:11
Word is that the new 6-speed auto trans in the 2006 Vette uses a fluid called Dexron-IV (aka Dex-6). Dunno what happened to Dex-4 and -5, but....

Anyway, from what a chevy dealer service mgr. could get as far as info, it's supposed to be better, but it's not a synthetic fluid. He didn't know what was better/different, and he also didn't know if it could replace Dex-3 in older applications.

White Truck
11-03-2005, 05:35
Dexron VI is compatible with Dexron III fluid and can be interchanged and mixed if necessary. The only exception is the 2006 6L80E trans will require Dexron VI exclusively as Dexron III is not compatible with this trans.

Dexron VI offers the following improvments over Dexron III by at least 20%

Clutch Friction Stability
Clutch Durability Due To Fluid
Oil Film Thickness
Fluid Oxidation
Foam / Aeration
Shear Stability

I don't know the composition, i.e. mineral vs. synthetic.

As far as Dex IV and V, my theory is that they didn't work out
:D

YZF1R
11-03-2005, 15:40
Yea, like Preparation H. What ever happened to preparations A threw G? What ever happened to the folks they were tried on?

Steve

(Yes, I heard that from a comedian. Don't remember who.)