PDA

View Full Version : Softening the ride on a 2500HD 4x4

Raptorrider2001
08-31-2002, 14:21
How can I soften the ride qualities on an extended cab short wheelbase 2500HD 4x4. Mine rides like a real truck!. It does have 10 ply rated tires and I run them at 50 psi in front and 60 in the rear in order to get an even wear pattern. My first thought was to just install the springs off of a 1500 series until I remembered it has torsion bars instead of coil springs in the front. Will backing off the torsion bars soften the ride? Someone posted that he took a couple of leafs out of the rear and installed air bags. I did not see any mention of the front suspension changes. Would changing to Bilsteins on all 4 corners help? I would like a ride closer a 1500 since I don't really have a need to do heavy hauling. Thanks

DmaxMaverick
08-31-2002, 15:17
If you are running empty with 60 #s in the rear, it'll ride like a dump truck. Lower your empty rear to 35-45. 45-50 in the front is OK (that's where most of the weight is when unloaded). The tires are rated at 3042 #s at 80 psi. Less weight means less required pressure.

Backing off the torsion bars will soften the ride a little, but will lower the front end. Bad idea. Most of the rough ride problems are with the rear end. If the rear tire pressure is too high, it will buck the front end. Try the lower pressures before dropping a bunch of bucks. Good luck.

Raptorrider2001
08-31-2002, 15:45
I tried running 45 psi in the rears but the tires started wearing bad on the outside 2 treads and leaving them high in the middle so I went back to 50. I think these tires are so stiff that at lower pressure they will wear out in a hurry. I just checked the front end and the rubber bumpers are resting on the frame. What is different between the 1500s and 2500s that give the 2500s the harsh ride in the front. I'm sure the rear springs can be softened either by taking out leafs or using 1500 springs.

JEBar
08-31-2002, 16:06
I may be the one who you mentioned pulled 2 rear leafs and added air bags .... doing so made a tremendous difference in the ride of my truck without any front changes .... have a set of Bilsteins on order to complete the suspension alterations .... 2500's have 2 stage springs which activate the really heavy duty spring stage on many highway bunps, a 3500 has 3 stage springs which by nature will ride a bit smooter, that being said, neither compairs with a 1500... I looked into many different suspension alterations and decided that for me, the above was the best .... still doesn't ride as smooth at a 1500 but is very, very close .... Jim

Raptorrider2001
08-31-2002, 16:16
Thanks Jim. It was you now that I think about it. I just didn't take the time to do a search. Didn't you also mention that yours was bottomed out on the front? How did you raise it off of the frame? Torsion adjustment? I am hesitant to adjust it until I know what it will do or how it will effect it. When one of my sons put a lift kit on his 4x4 96 Tahoe, the a arms had a high angle and the front end was to high so he backed the torsion bars off a few turns and level the truck. Of course, he is chomping at the bits to tighten mine to supposedly lift the front off of the bumpers. Any feelings on this? Also, where did you get your air bags? Do you feel that taking 2 leafs out of the 2500 will be to much? Thanks

FirstDiesel
08-31-2002, 17:05
Don't take this question wrong but if you don't do heavy hauling and you don't like the ride of the 2500, then why did you buy it??? To get the D/A would be my guess but then you should have expected it to ride like a truck. Trying to soften the ride seems to be a little risky to me.

JMHO

Raptorrider2001
08-31-2002, 17:47
You're right. Just wanted a D/A. All my friends have Cummins. Had expectations of pulling a large trailer but those plans have recently changed. I do pull a 21' bass boat that only weighs about 3500# and not much tongue weight so it does not tamed it down much.

More Power
08-31-2002, 17:53
Moved to "2500HD/3500 Trucks & Drivetrain"

dmaxstu
08-31-2002, 19:31
Just arrived back home from a 5200 mile trip to Alberta Canada. I was towing a 26" Sunnybrook trailer. The truck is equiped with the Moryde RL system and rode like a Cadilac.

JEBar
08-31-2002, 21:32
Raptor..."Didn't you also mention that yours was bottomed out on the front?" NEGATIVE, I run a deer hunting club and have many hours of offroad with my vehicle. While not extreme by any standards, NO FRONT END BOTTOMING. Remember, the adjustments I've made to the suspension didn't affect the front. Until I add Bilsteins, it will remain stock...."Torsion adjustment?" NONE required to bring my truck's ride to being on par with Z71. Conversion did lower rear end about 1". "where did you get your air bags?" My bags are Air Lifts (understand they are made by Firestone). Purchased and installed buy We Do Trucks in Raleigh. They have a web site for purchases at www.wedotrucks.com. Since it is local, have never used it but can say they are an honorable company which backs up their products.... "Do you feel that taking 2 leafs out of the 2500 will be to much?" Not owning a 2500 can't say for sure. Do know that on my truck the air bags more than compensated for the spring leaf removal. Believe, that should I choose, I can carry more weight than before but know that I don't have to put up with the harsh ride when running empty.

FirstDiesel... "Trying to soften the ride seems to be a little risky to me." Certainly could be the case but I haven't found it to be so. Semi's have used air bags for many years rather than heavy springs alone. I have found the combination of good springs, which the HD's most certainly have, and air bags has been a very good marriage......Jim

MadDuraMax
09-01-2002, 10:17
I worked for Neway (OTR air ride suspensions) for close to 7 years. A couple of comments about this thread;

1. "Softening" the suspension with an air ride compromising safety is not an issue as long as you have a hieght control valve(s) plumbed into the system. The opposite in fact is true, safety is enhanced by maintaining drive and pinion angles at all loads. (hieght control valves mount between the frame/body and the axle, they can be plumbed to LH/RH air springs individually or as a tandem).

2. Make sure you have an air dryer plumbed to the air compressor. If water builds up in the system/airbags ride quality and longevity will be effected.

3. Both Goodyear and Firestone make quality air springs.

Piney
09-01-2002, 23:16
I've placed three 80 lbs bags of concrete in the bed (just in front of the tailgate). I cut a 2x4 the width of the bed and put it in the notches that are behind the wheelwells (to keep them from sliding around). It's a cheap fix to smooth the ride out a little.

hapaschold
09-02-2002, 08:55
i agree with a previous post, put some weight in the back, 400 - 800 lbs will smooth it out.

recently installed the bilsteins all around, great improvement, no more bouncing/rocking.

i enjoy driving my gmc, more so than my navigator, more power & i feel its quieter ( road noise wise) inside than the navigator.