PDA

View Full Version : Allison ATF level

Dobe Man
05-07-2003, 09:02
When I checked my ATF level in my new 2500HD it was at the very bottom of the hot range on the dip stick following the procedure stated in the owners manual. The temp on the transmission gauge was 160. The temp has never gone above 160 in the few months that I have had this truck. Since this has been during the winter I did not think this as being unusual. The outside temp got up to 80 yesterday but the transmission temp still did not go above 160. My question is this, should I add ATF to get the level into the middle or top of the hot range in the stick or just leave it alone? Thanks

a64pilot
05-07-2003, 09:05
IF you are SURE that the tranny is all of the way up to operaing temp, I would add ATF until it is in the middle of the range

chipper
05-07-2003, 09:31
Dobe Man,
I would first check the level cold, which is at the bottom of the dip stick. The local mechanics tell me that is the safe spot to read. I filled mine once , too high in the hot range, & the first time I pulled my trailer in hot weather It blew ATF all over the bottom of my truck. It is now about 1/4 of the way up in the hot range at 160 F.

Jomar
05-09-2003, 21:47
The first thing you should do is make sure you have the correct dip stick. My `02 came with the wrong one and that sure did cause confusion for a while.

Jomar