PDA

View Full Version : How to refill?

torque
05-07-2003, 18:43
The engine and tranny oil refills are obvious and easy. When I looked at the transfer case and differentials I have to ask if there is any "easy" way to refill them before I drain them? Some kind of pump, maybe?

Hound
05-07-2003, 19:23
Most auto parts places have a pump that threads on to your lube bottles. Just make sure you're getting the right size thread attachment if you're using QT bottles vs. gallon bottles.

Tsckey
05-07-2003, 20:20
You can also buy about 15cents worth of clear plastic hose that will fit the gear oil nipple. Just lay under there admiring all the pieces with your hand resting on the spare, squeezing the stuff into the diff. Be careful, though, when your wife comes out and wants to know why the hell you're lying around on a perfectly good afternoon, you're liable to jerk the tube loose and dribble all over yourself.

TC

jbplock
05-08-2003, 04:48
Poking a hole in the bottom of the platic bottle helps get it out faster too. smile.gif

AlanL
05-09-2003, 10:04
There is a special tool for this as well... its like a big syringe. I bought one at the auto parts store for about $10.

I got exactly what I paid for too, which was a peice of junk. :mad: I spilled more "grape juice" than I got into the diff before I gave up on using it.

I ended up doing it with a short peice of clear tubing and funnel. It took forever to pour the (almost) 4 quarts of fluid into the rear diff.

Unfortunately the $10 junk was the only such version of this tool that was available at the parts store. My race car sponsor has a really nice snap-on version of the same thing, but I'm sure that it was $60 or more and only available from the snap-on truck. I might just have him pick one up for me anyway. :cool:

-Al

chuntag95
05-09-2003, 12:38
I found an oil nozzle with a clear hose on the end. It had an adapter that fit the bottle of lube. It twisted open and closed so I could get everything set before I poured it on myself. Worked pretty well for 2 bucks. I tried the pump on the front diff and was not impressed. :rolleyes:

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-09-2003, 18:59
GoJO hand cleaner jug, empty and cleaned.

2 feet of clear hose, one clamp.

Time saved, priceless.

That GoJo pump is strong, I have used one for years, just clamp the hose to it and fill it up with whatever. What's nice is that it can be measured for volume so you know how much you put in.

GMC

saywhat
05-09-2003, 19:22
Just did the front differential this afternoon with a piece of hose added on bottle,works like a charm if you squeeze the bottle.Put almost two quarts in,took about five minutes.