PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle leaking

oneton
08-31-2002, 11:01
Ok, now I'm ****ed!! My truck only has 8000 miles and now I just saw today that the tire has fluid running down the inside on the drivers side. I'll keep an eye on it but this just sucks. The final straw on my 6.5 was a leaking axle seal that would stop no matter what we did and here we are again. I just got back from a 4800 mile trip with towing a 30' enclosed car trailer. Has anybody experienced anything simular after such a long tow?

On a light note: I did the second rear fluid change after the long run and it looked brand new. No chucks, just minimal normal gray sludge on the magnet with 6400 miles on the grape juice. It didn't use any oil either. The truck towed like a dream and passed everything in site. DMAX rules!!

Thanks

More Power
08-31-2002, 18:02
Moved to "2500HD/3500 Trucks & Drivetrains"

Ram
09-03-2002, 16:14
I had a rear axle leak at just about 8000 miles also. Just a little wetness on drivers' side rear wheel. Dealer fixed it. Now, at 10000 miles, everything still looks good.

IndigoDually
09-03-2002, 16:55
Join the Club! My diffs match. Left front and left rear are both leaking. Take solace in the fact that we aren't the only ones It happened to Mac and I am sure that there are others out there.

My '97 went through 3 sets before they finally stopped leaking. I even had an '88 F-Superduty that ALWAYS leaked, no matter how many times it was changed. On the bright side the oil bath rear brakes lasted a long time. :D

John

Wiley
09-03-2002, 17:56
Same here. At about 10K on a tow to Yosemite. Driver side leak on rear tire. Fixed at dealership. I changed the grape juice out and it looked virgin. Just a few shavings on the magnet.