PDA

View Full Version : Autometer EGT gauge problem

triggerman
12-24-2003, 19:14
First, Happy Holidays All !
Resently my less than a year old pyro gauge has been acting up by occasionaly pointing straight down, then after a few minutes it would jump back up on scale, jerk up the scale once or twice, then work fine for a while. This goes on intermitently every time I use the truck lately. All the conections appear to be OK. Any body have a tip on this?
Thanks for your thoughts.

tom.mcinerney
12-24-2003, 21:12
Intermittents are tuff to troubleshoot. If you had a voltmeter[sensitive] in parallel with thermocouple connection to gage you could monitor both readings. Check that TC leads not shorted to ground where insulation abraded....good luck!

rjschoolcraft
12-25-2003, 06:48
It could be either the pyrometer or the gage head failing. If you have a digital volt meter and can read on the milivolt scale, you should be able to deduce which one is the problem.

When my Banks unit failed, I removed the thermocouple and used a propane torch to heat it and read output voltage with a meter. It didn't respond as I thought that it should. Banks swore that the gage head was bad and sent a new one. Installed it, still no reading. Called 'em back, "Oh, it must be the thermocouple." :rolleyes: I said, "That's what I told you the first time." When the new one arrived, I tested it before installation... it showed immediate and smooth response to the torch. I then tested the old gage head with the new thermocouple. It worked fine.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and hope you get it sorted out soon.

triggerman
04-01-2004, 16:54
Thanks guys for your reply's back then. When I called autometer the tech said to pull the sender out and ground it out while some one watched the gauge. If it is bad the gauge needle would point down when grounded. Of course the gauge was working when I had time to do this. So I sent the sender back any way and got a new one at no charge under warrenty. Now it's been a couple of weeks with the new sender and all is fine. smile.gif