PDA

View Full Version : oil leaks

BigRedDMaxx
05-10-2003, 20:23
1) Rotated my tires today and when I took off the inner left rear, the inside was coated an oily grime. This is the third time I have rotated my tires and have never seen it before. I checked the brake fluid level and it is ok. Could this be oil coming out of the hub ??
2) While sticking my head into the left front wheel well I discovered more oily grime on the frame just back from where the top A arm attachs. Looked under the hood and the brake master cylinder is directly above. I guess I need to check the tightness of all the lines attaching to the master cylinder manifold. :mad:

Is anyone else have these kind of leaks :confused:

dmaxalliTech
05-10-2003, 20:56
BigRed, Where in SW michigan are you???. sounds like the rear axle seal is leaking. Not sure about the front without looking at at. We are having an informal dmax day in Grand Rapids on May 20. Gonna do a lunch thing if your in the area. All is invited.

BigRedDMaxx
05-10-2003, 21:04
Dmaxalitech,
I'm just down the street in Kazoo. Thanks for the tip on the rear axle seal. Don't know if I can make the 20th or not but would like to meet your group sometime and see some other dmax trucks !

BADMAX
05-10-2003, 21:05
1) Sounds as if you may have a leaking axle seal, I had this same problem last month. GM uses a 2piece seal that could never wear a groove into spindle.The seal part rides on the other half,not on spindel.If this is gear oil leaking out need to get it fixed asap mine was 1quart low,truck o
nly had 800 miles on it.

2)Check between master cyl and hydroboost unit,they seem to leak from there.I am a tech at a local chevy dealer and have seen this before.Only problem is I don't think it can be serviced just replaced.$$ HOPE THIS HELPS

03 D/A EC SB 2500HD BADDEST TRUCK I'VE EVER OWNED!!!

dmaxalliTech
05-10-2003, 21:08
BigRed. We need to get togather sometime. I would like to meet you, or anybody in here for that matter.

SPICER
05-25-2003, 20:25
Same thing...was just rotating my tires when I noticed fluid on the inside of the rear drivers side hub. The wheel was full of greasy dirt also. All other wheels were relatively clean. I will call the dealer after the holiday, only 8k miles.

Also, I did a search and found no related threads. My rear wheels WOULD NOT COME OFF!!! I left the lug nuts loose on the rear wheels, lowered the truck to the ground, and rocked the truck back and forth to get the wheel to pop loose from the hub!!! The drivers side STILL would not come off the hub so (I am on duty today as a firefighter) I grabbed the jaws of life off the truck, stuck it in the wheel well between the frame and the tire and used the spreader feature to pop it free!!!! What if I was roadside with a flat!!!! Anybody else have this? SPICER :eek:

DMAXTODD
05-25-2003, 21:19
Dmaxallitech,
Do you have any idea what could be making a sort of scraping sound from the rear,The really weird part is it comes and goes for maybe a day or so I don't have any rear fluid anywhere underneath and the brakes look good, it happens mostly when slowing down not accelerating but not changed by tapping the brakes. Hope its not serious.

et
05-25-2003, 23:32
Spicer,

It has happened before with OEM steel wheels. The cure was to keep the backs of the wheels clean and use Never Seize where it contacts the axle. Do a search on the Driveline Forum.

BigRedDMaxx
05-26-2003, 20:45
Well leak number 1 has been fixed, it was the rear axle seal. Truck goes back in the shop tomorrow for the brake fluid leak. I think they are replacing the brake booster or manifold?
I also had trouble removing my wheels when I last rotated my tires. They were all rusted up where they pilot on the hub. Had to lower the truck with loose lugs, move forward, and tap the brakes. I coated the hub pilot area with never sieze. All the salt they dump on the winter roads probably didn't help matters any.
When the truck goes in tomorrow I have to have them remove and turn the rear dual as when the fixed the rear axle seal, they didn't line up the wheel slots when the put the outside dual on ?!! Lack of attention to detail !

dmaxalliTech
05-27-2003, 20:12
Seems all of these trucks have rear drums stuck, I notice it even on low milers, few daps of anti-sneeze takes care of it. BigRed, who is your servicing dealer?? Might be do for a trip up 131 soon!!

BigRedDMaxx
05-30-2003, 18:58
Dmaxallitech, I may take you up on that. I don't have much confidence in the folks here. I also don't like the fact you can't talk with the person doing the work. You just talk to a receptionist ?! It interesting trying to explain to them the symtoms or area (components) that appear suspect.
Anyhow, got the truck back, they replaced the rear axle seal (PN 150070078), gasket (pn 12471641), booster (pn 15190585), as well as fluids, fortunately all was replaced under warranty as booster alone lists at over $400 :eek: !