PDA

View Full Version : I smell antifreeze coming from my air outlets

Arnie
09-02-2002, 18:10
When I start the truck the fan turns on and I smell antifreeze coming from the air ducts, I have checked and can't find any leaks....But I smell one. Anyone else heard or smelled this before. Might have to taker in......

DmaxMaverick
09-02-2002, 18:50
Arnie

Pull the cover under the pass. side dash. If you have a slight leak, it can retain the coolant. It's the one that also accesses the HVAC filters (there is a diagram in the manual). When you remove the filter cover, you can inspect the heater core. Also a good time to change the filter elements. If you find no leak, I'd suspect that the overflow tank did what it was designed to do, overflow. If it has, the fresh air intake is probably picking up the smell from there. Good luck.

Arnie
09-06-2002, 20:33
Thanks Will do......

Lone Eagle
09-08-2002, 16:45
Arnie, If you have fluid coming out of the expansion tank you have a problem. The only time fluid comes out is if the system sees over 15 PSIG. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

Paintdude
09-08-2002, 18:32
If you smell antifreeze you generally have a leaking heater core..It has been known to happen on new vehicles..bent-bumped during assembly..

My 2.0009234 cents