PDA

View Full Version : Service brake sytem & no 4WD warranty issues

Northcountry
02-12-2004, 11:16
Anyone else have these problems? I bought a new 2003 GMC Sierra and I have been getting the "Service Brake System" alert on my dash since it was 4 days old. I have owned it about 4 months and have less than 5000 miles on it. It has been into Alaska Sales and Service here in Anchorage at least 5 times to have it fixed. First fix was to put a new instrument cluster in because the "inst. module was not talking to the computer." Fine, they put in the new cluster, which was the wrong one, but I decided to live with that. "Service Brake System" alert returns the next day. Back to the shop, this time for a new whole new computer. GM national calls me to ask what is going on. I have no answer for them.
"Service Brake System" still comes on about every 5th or 6th time I start the truck.
Now the 4WD has failed. I was about one half block from my house making a right turn from a stop sign when the back end spins out and I crunch into a snowbank and crack the plastic spoiler.
A phone call to Alaska Sales and Service says to call the 1-800 # which I do. They want to know why I am calling them and not going directly to Alaska Sales and Service with the dash alert alternating between "Service 4WD" and "Service Brake System." Service says to bring it in first thing in the AM which I do at 7:30, bright and early.
Well, this morning they tell me they will not fix the 4WD or the brakes until I agree to pay for the spoiler. Service Manager Richard Hyatt then advises me not to drive the truck until I have these issues resolved. I ask about a loaner and am told a flat "NO." I can pay for a loaner if I would like one. I told him I already paid for a vehicle which is sitting on the floor of his service department.
OK, so I ask who is going to come look at the truck and evaluate the situation? Richard Hyatt says, "I don't know."
Ok, WHEN are they going to resolve these issues, this week, next month, today, tomorrow? Mr. Hyatt again says, "I don't know."
Has anyone else had these warranty problems with their Sierras? I am sitting here waiting for a return call from the 1-800 #. Does any one know how to get in touch with a regional service rep for Alaska? I was told by Richard Hyatt that they no longer had regional service reps and that he (Richard Hyatt) was the the top banana for these problems. This truck is a nightmare!
What should I do next, besides sell this thing.

DmaxMaverick
02-12-2004, 14:17
I hope, for your sake, that you have access to another GM dealer in your area (it's a long way to Grand Rapids, MI for you). Sounds like the one you are dealing with has no interest in fixing your problem. Try another dealer, if you can. Even if it's a Chevy dealer.

Your B to B warranty covers a rental vehicle at no charge if the problem isn't resolved in one working day and they keep the vehicle overnight.

Ultimately, lemon laws and buy-backs (or at least a threat of one) are effective for these problems. Check into the law for your state.

Good luck.

Onebigcanuck
02-13-2004, 09:26
My service 4wd light came on and I was in 2 wheel drive until they replaced a round senser in the unit. I was told if you remove the 4WD fuse which is under the hood and put it back in it will reset the code and you will have 4WD until it sets again.

Not the solution you might want but it will give you 4WD for a while. :D

jeephauler
02-14-2004, 04:09
My "Service Brake System" light has been making an appearance since day 1. ABS does not function when this light is on. Most times, just restarting clears the message. I only see it about once a month anymore. I have best luck, when I start it, to just let it sit for a minute until chime stops, and then start. If impatient, and start before chime stops, I see SBS warning much more often. Could never make it do this while at a dealer, so I just live with it.

Northcountry
02-15-2004, 14:20
That is what mine does also. I have taken it to the dealer with the code on 5 times, they know there is a problem and can't figure it out. According to our state lemon laws three attempts to fix a problem without success means a buy-back. so..........check out your state laws. I have zero confidence in this dealership, I now know ALL the service writers first and last names and the names of some of their children and where they live, etc. That is how much time I have spent there. Bad build, bad dealer.

saywhat
02-15-2004, 16:42
Call 1-800-955-5100 to file a claim with the BBB Autoline.They will send you forms to fill out stating your complaints and how you would want the issue resolved.Sounds to me like you and the dealership are done talking or should be.