PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Keys

Husker Fan
05-12-2003, 12:59
Pulled my keys out of my pocket over the weekend, and found that the plastic bar that the key ring goes over on my Chevy key broke! I

TxDoc
05-12-2003, 20:33
Had mine since Sept and it just broke. I was surprised, too. $5.75 for a new one.

DURAMONSTER
05-13-2003, 01:20
I think thay have to have a chip in them. My truck knows if it is my wifes key or my key. :confused:

TSimpler
05-13-2003, 06:41
Maybe the truck just KNOWS!!!! heheheh :D :D :D

77TransAm
05-13-2003, 07:26
DURAMONSTER, are you sure it knows the key, or do you use the remote to unlock the truck? I think it is supposed to recognize which remote is used when it sets up for Driver 1 or Driver 2...

Mike Fultz
05-13-2003, 11:00
As soon as I took delivery I had the local lock shop cut me a few spares, and I put the originals safely away. I am well known for loosing keys ILCO makes an excellent aftermarket key. My 2003 2500HD D/A does not use a chipped key. The only way it recognizes who is opening the door is from the key fob. One is numbered 1 the other is numbered 2. I played with the original factory keys as and with the fobs. The truck new what fob unlocked the doors, but not what specific key was used in the doors or ignition.

Mike

Jake99Z71
05-13-2003, 11:10
I chopped the big bulky black plastic off all my keys and drilled a hole threw the metal instead of relying on the plastic to break and lose the key. Dealer said it would change resistance and wouldn't work. Well 2.5 yrs later the keys still start the truck.

conradv
05-13-2003, 11:10
Yup - nothing more exciting than getting in the truck, turning the key, and having the seat shoot up into the stearing wheel because my wife had unlocked it with her fob.

Great fun.

smile.gif

Colorado Kid
05-13-2003, 18:43
conradv,

Thanks for that visual :D

I'm no longer jealous that my truck doesn't have memory seats! tongue.gif

With the two boys to get loaded the same thing could easily happen to me...and I might be seriously hurt before that seat stopped going forward :eek:

Having it reconfigure to match the fobs seemed so clever, but I think it would work out just as well to stick with a toggle or push-button for switching between memory configurations.