PDA

View Full Version : Crack,Crack,Crack,Crack

thechevyhdman
05-13-2003, 00:26
Ugggh, I am currently on my 3rd going on 4th Instrument cluster, as the "plexiglass" Window keeps cracking and chunks fall into the IC. Its really starting to get ridiculous. I have to ask though I have had this problem on all my new style trucks, 3 in a row. Is this common with other people? I took the dash "surround" off to see if its pinching up against the cover but its not it just keeps cracking with every new cluster I get. Im getting peeved Is their a TSB out for this? Seriously my 99 cracked, my 2001 is currently cracked and now im going on my 4th cluster in my 2002 WTF. Bill

hoot
05-13-2003, 03:27
I haven't heard of that happening. For me it's windshields but the NE highways are the reason.

mackin
05-13-2003, 04:21
Really is odd considering the Clear portion is separate of the cluster and is clipped on .....Some flexibility, really, no reason to crack .... I'm sure that piece can be acquired by itself ... "I" would now that the bezel is off, get the part RR it myself, one Connection plug (tight) and "4" 7 mm screws and put the new clear portion on and not over tighten the cluster on the reinstall .....Maybe the dealer guy is just over tightening and not securing in a proportionate way ......

MAC :confused: as you ......

britannic
05-13-2003, 12:00
Does the truck get left out in the sun/cold for extended periods of time?

Wally
05-13-2003, 18:43
What do you clean the bezel with? I've never heard of this before. It almost has to be something enviromental. You don't work or park in an area that has chlorine do you?

sdaver
05-13-2003, 20:17
MAYBE SOME NEW MOUTHWASH :D :D :D DAVE

NWDmax
05-14-2003, 00:02
Does your fist hurt after you notice the cracks? :D tongue.gif

thechevyhdman
05-14-2003, 00:55
HeHe well in response my first IC replacement was for 2 reasons 1, my odometer would disappear so I would knock on the IC to see what my mieage was when I filled up, Second reason was after a month of knocking it cracked. That was at 6,000 miles. Dealer replaced. Cracked again, dealer replaced. Cracked again at 28,000 I replaced at the dealer myself. Most cracks have been right above the odometer/ gear selector. Now there popping up all over the place. I park outside so it does see temp changes, but it takes so long to warm up I dont see that as a problem. I use some formula 2001 on it once in a while. No presence of chlorine. And from what my service manager told me they cannot just order the cover, they have to order the whole IC. I dont want to replace this IC I like it ;) ;) . Fuzzy math. Bill

mackin
05-14-2003, 04:38
Well then tell the service dude order a cluster, program you current mileage in... Take the plasteek only, and your on your way .... If he'd like, give him your cracked plasteek to send back for confirmation with the brand spankin new cluster you didn't use....

Quite checking your mileage ...... No one cares ..... tongue.gif

Mac smile.gif

[ 05-14-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>