PDA

View Full Version : Need to rebuild/replace?

83Silverado
07-24-2005, 18:52
My 94 Blazer 6.5L (~130K) seized up the other day while my wife was heading down the road. Actually she had to do an emergency stop (accident); while she was doing a quick assesment of injuries on those involved ahead of her (nothing major), the truck 'banged' and died. She had to have it jumped off and drove it to my work (about 2 miles). It's idling very rough & has a loud knock coming from the 4 or 6 cylinder; I had it towed home and went through a check of injectors, etc. After a couple of days I gave up and had it towed to a mechanic; but he's no diesel guy and doesn't even want to crack it open; just quoted $5500 to put in a rebuild.

I'm in the sticks right now (Johnson City, TN) but will be moving to Dallas soon. I'm thinking that my best route may be to tow it down there and get it to a 'real' diesel mechanic.

Any suggestions?

More Power
07-25-2005, 09:18
While there are several possibilities for your current situation (and I prefer not to jump to a worst-case scenario), I'd check the harmonic damper - looking for wobbles as the engine idles. It may have broken the crank.

Jim

MTTwister
07-25-2005, 10:24
What about a broken rocker arm keeper dealie? Would that cause some of these symptoms?