PDA

View Full Version : New Bilsteins On--Thanks JK

afp
05-15-2003, 21:54
Just installed the Bilsteins and they are awesome. I guess along with excellent binoculars, the Grmans make good shocks too. Because my truck is lifted 2" in the front, I put about a 3/4" spacer on the front shocks to try to keep them form bottoming before the suspension does. I am very close.

My factory shocks were completely shot--leaking air, compressing in a very "jerky" manner, etc. My truck only had 13,350 miles on it and it was built in Mar of 2002. The difference the new Bilsteins make is hard to believe.

Also, thanks to JK. he called me back at about 10 PM his time to answer my question so I could complete the install. Thanks JK...................

Blaine

Raptorrider2001
05-16-2003, 11:36
When you say it made a big difference, can you describe how? Just trying to decide to shell out the money. Would like to softern the ride some. Thanks :confused:

afp
05-16-2003, 14:48
Ride firmness is probably more of a function of spring rate than shocks in our application.

The biggest improvement is lack of bounciness and looseness. Now when I hit a bump, the shocks immedialtely dampen the rebound. Before, the truck would bounce several times, and in that bouncing would fell "loose" on the road. This was especially noticable on rough roads. The truck also corners much better now as well.

In fact, these shocks made my truck ride much closer to the Z-71 (Bilsteins then a Bilstein clone from the factory). I my opinion, the Z-71 is one of the best--if not the best--riding trucks for rough roads.

I have had a similar expereince when replacing shock on my lifted '87 4x4 Suburban. The shocks that came with the lift kit were cheapies and lasted about a year. I replaced thwm with Pro Comps and the ride improved just as the ride in my DMax has improved. Last year, I replaced worn out fatory shocks on my wife's 98 Jimmy. Same results--it went from being loose and bouncy to tight and stable.

I went with the Bilsteins on my DMax because I want to buy shocks that will last. The Bilsteins on the Z-71s seem to last a long time.

Blaine

AndrewF
05-22-2003, 09:07
Please could you provide the Bilstein part numbers and cost for the DMax.

jbplock
05-22-2003, 09:17
Andrew,

You can get the PN's from the Bilstein website but when I looked them up there was only one choice (front & rear) for the 2500HD or 3500HD. JK had the best price - and service - when I bought mine.
(www.kennedydiesel.com) smile.gif

[ 05-23-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

afp
05-22-2003, 21:42
The price was around $65 each, and JK has the part numbers. You can order on line.

Blaine

AndrewF
05-23-2003, 07:55
Thanks guys. Are these adjustable like the Ranchos ??

afp
05-23-2003, 12:52
The Bilsteisn are not adjustable. That may be a factor in some applications.

Baline

Kennedy
05-24-2003, 06:30
While the Bilsteins are not adjustable, they do carry an even better feature: Velocity sensitive valving. This, along with the high quality components and mono tube design, keep them performing well for in excess of 100k miles while others fall off quite early...