PDA

View Full Version : ABS in Snow

wxmn6
05-19-2003, 22:07
I have a '02 2500HD 4x4 and I am going to install a snowplow this summer. I have heard many stories from other snowplowers that ABS is the biggest problem. They said that when plowing in snow, the truck just seems to not stop. They said that as a result, they had alot of close calls, but some of them did hit something minor. This is something I would never want to deal with. I think I recall remembering a few times when my brake pedal pulsated and the truck just seems to take longer to stop when I am driving in the snow.

Do any of you know if the ABS will disamble when the truck is switched into 4WD? (Both high and low range) If not, can I pull a fuse out or install a switch in series with the ABS circuit?

GMCTRUCK
05-19-2003, 22:23
The ABS does stay on in 4x4 both hi and lo. You've heard correct it sucks in snow. Even off-road it's horrible. Forget being able to stop and hold your position on a steep hill in sand, mud or snow. The thing will just not lock and hold and the brake pedal will buzz under your foot as you roll all the way down the hill. I'm sure it can be disabled. It's just a matter of how many dummy lights come on and how easy it is to reset. ABS should be an option so those that know how to drive aren't stuck with it.

Nixter
05-20-2003, 00:11
I think that it doesn't operate below like 5 or 7 mph. My Chevy ABS is less sensitive than my Toyota system so I wouldn't consider it to be abnormal. We have long icy winters up here so we get pretty good at coping with these issues. Studded and or siped tires could help. Also your plow could stop you in certain situations. It would be nice if they could provide some way to override the ABS if someone chose to. They are calibrated to safeguard against panic braking at high speeds in the rain, not creeping down a 10% grade on mirror finish ice. --Nick

rberner
05-30-2003, 23:46
I have had problems in Central America on steep dirt roads down shifted in 4wd. A couple of times coming to a hair pin turn at about 25 miles per hour I hit the brakes and got only a hard pedal. I pushed as hard as I could,let go, and then I had some brakes. I am assuming the wheels are slipping with enging braking and the ABS won't let me have braking. It's great to get your heart going. I am thinking about splicing into the wire from the fuse and putting a relay in line to a switch on the dash. It needs a relay due to the 60 amp fuse. Only the ABS light comes on on the dash which will be good to remind me it is disabled.

mark45678
06-01-2003, 13:38
once the ABS motor turns on push down on the break peddle harder it will stop faster then you can! the key is to put more leg in to it! dont let up this is what if fine work!

Jelisfc
06-02-2003, 07:36
rberner, I noticed last winter one has to be real careful with a ZF when it's slick. I won't disagree with the ABS not being the best but if you downshift too agressively, reving the engine or not, the drive train slids. Brakes won't help in that instant because your tires are already going slower than vehicle speed. Makes for a good slid around corners if you're expecting it. ;)