PDA

View Full Version : Bellhousing openings w/ ZF-6

luvthesmellofdiesel
05-20-2003, 15:23
I have the ZF-6 and recently had the truck in to have a new flywheel put in at 16,000 miles. The question is, I didn't notice beforehand, but I notice now on both sides of the bellhousing, near the top, there are slits about 1" by 3" where there is a stud and nut used to hold the bellhousing to the engine.

These are 1" x 3" wide open slits where I can see the clutch, pressure plate, etc with the inner fender well off. Is there something that's supposed to cover these up? Or are they supposed to be there? I am concerned the dealer removed something that wasn't replaced correctly when I had the flywheel replaced.

I looked at the parts schematic, but it didn't even show the slits, but they're there. The service guy says they're supposed to be there for cooling. Seems like it would be awfully easy to get something in there which could potentially shatter the bellhousing if it caught the pressure plate just right (like a small pebble for example).

Thanks,
Tim

GMCTRUCK
05-20-2003, 18:50
My 03 is the same way. Maybe this way when the clutch starts slipping we can just throw some sand in there to help the clutch grab. :rolleyes: