View Full Version : 95 Sub Front & Rear A/C Problems

moondoggie
07-25-2005, 03:01
Good Day!

The A/C in our Sub doesn

MJEasly
07-25-2005, 06:27
Is this the NAPA part you installed?
Smart VOV (http://www.aircondition.com/vov/)

eracers999
07-25-2005, 06:40
Moondoggie:

I will try to be basic here.

The pressures you stated, 300 hi 50 low. What cluth fan are you running? This is of big time importance. If you are running stock fan do this experiment. Start up, turn a/c on, have your guages hooked up and thermometer in dash.
Get to where it is doing all it can, engine hot. Now, are you hearing the clutch fan come up and really moving air? if not that is your problem. Now take a garden hose and spray the condenser down with everything still running, watch the hi and low fall dramaticly. Rig hose on steady and watch your dash temp guage it will get a lot colder and that will be the best it can do.. JK;s clutch fan will fix the problem, or take your stocker and do the relocation of the spring thing. That condenser has to have a lot of air going across it for anyone to diagnoss a symptom. Clutch fan a absolute must, many a mechanic fooled.

Kent

kevin77
07-25-2005, 07:54
I did my AC repair last year on my 94 suburban, replacing compressor, orifice tube and rear expansion valve (parks from autozone and dealer)

Still leaked a little and didn't work that great.

After investigating, I found that the compressor was leaking and when I pulled the belt off, the clutch was loose. Soo, I ordered a new compressor from Arizona Air, a new VOV orifice tube and an accumulator. Evacuated the system and recharged and now it works good.

If you had to clean your orifice tube out then your expansion valve in back is probably blocked or near blocked. I wonder if you have a blockage in the condensor. That could explain high pressure but lack of flow/cooling?

Did the AC shop flush the system?

Check out http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=flush on the flushing procedure to get everything sparkling clean inside.

Kevin

moondoggie
07-25-2005, 08:42
Good Day!

MJEasly: I

eracers999
07-25-2005, 21:23
Moondoggie; Your pickup is moving more air than you think it is. At the end of the day your still going to need to do a clutch fan mod or replace. Please post the results of the garden hose. Best to you.

Kent

moondoggie
07-26-2005, 05:26
Good Day!

You bet I will.

Thanks again for sharing your great knowledge of such things. I guess sometimes it's almost more fun to learn about this stuff than actually fixing it. Wait a minute - sitting in a pool of my own sweat because I haven't got it fixed yet - maybe just getting it fixed would be better. ;)

MJEasly: The front orifice I installed is NAPA P/N 207324. On the enclosure, it's called a "Smart VOVtm."

Blessings!

rjschoolcraft
07-26-2005, 06:02
MD,

Yes, the rear has an expansion valve and it is not shown in the service manuals at all.

I'm not sure there is any difference in compressors. It really sounds like you have a major blockage in your system somewhere.

If you need a new compressor, the parts strores should be able to get one for you for less than half the price of the dealer.

Does the compressor make a lot of noise?

MJEasly
07-26-2005, 06:23
Thanks Moondoggie. I thought it was the same but wasn't sure. I also wonder if there is one for the rear system, too.

My A/C in my suburban also took a dive so I'll be monitoring this thread very closely. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

BUZZ
07-26-2005, 16:31
Are the low side lines sweating? If so you are making cold air. Is it possible that the door for heat is stuck open?

moondoggie
07-28-2005, 04:51
Good Day!

[i]

moondoggie
08-23-2005, 09:13
Good Day!

Thanks for all the help. I have to park the Sub for awhile - unlikely I'll get time to look at it soon. I've printed this topic, so some day I'll get to take advantage of all your good will.

Thanks & Blessings!