PDA

View Full Version : Crew cab or Reg Cab?

DMAXTODD
05-22-2003, 22:55
I have been looking for a C/C S/B for a while and finally got a pretty good deal going to trade my 01 for an 02 and was wondering if any of you know from experience is a C/C or R/Cab more stable while lane changing,Towing ect?.. I was told the long wheelbase is better. Just want to be sure before I make the trade.

DURAMONSTER
05-23-2003, 02:21
Think about towing with a jeep. Now think about towing with a Peterbuilt. (assuming thay both have the same power). The longer the more stable.

DURAMONSTER
05-23-2003, 02:25
Look http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004916

Rick T
05-23-2003, 08:12
I'm towing a large LQ horse trailer (13,000 lbs. +) with my regular cab dually. I've found this combination to be absolutely stable on steep downhills, braking, etc. I don't know if I would want to tow this class of trailer with a 2500HD. As far as wheelbase is concerned, I don't believe there is a huge difference between a CC SB and a Reg. Cab LB truck.

Rick T

JimWilson
05-28-2003, 15:50
There is a difference in wheel base, but it's probably like 8 inches or so. That shouldn't mean a whole lot unless you're towing something terribly heavy or very long.

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

SparkyTX
05-29-2003, 10:15
The longer wheelbase is ALWAYS gogint o be more stable. That is why dragsters are so long. I used to tow my 3500# camper with my fullsize Jimmy. That was quite an adventure. The short wheelbase means it doesn't take much movement of the front end to have a dramatic impact on the trailer. The longer the tow vehicle, the more the fornt end has to move before transferring the impact to the trailer.

And, BTW, the regular cab long box is 20" shorter (wheelbase) than the crew cab short box. And that is a HUGE difference when towing.

LanceW
05-29-2003, 15:26
Last summer we went to a horse show with a trainer who had a reg cab dodge 3/4 ton dually, and we took a steel 4 horse gooseneck (around 10,000 lbs) and a steel bumperpull 2 horse (probably 6 or 7,000 if that). Over the two weekends, I got to drive both trucks with both trailers. The gooseneck seemed stable behind both rigs but there was (seemed to be?) a pretty big difference with the tagalong. Don't know how much is due to wheelbase and how much due to 3/4 vs. 1 ton truck, or even due to brand differences. I do remember being surprised that they both pulled the GN about equally well.

I spent a whole year commuting in traffic with the Ext cab dually and even putting it in a parking garage, and still very rarely ever wished I had LESS truck. I know a lot of people who wish they had an E/C or C/C but nobody who wishes they didn't. for my .02, go get that crew cab.

DMAXTODD
05-31-2003, 01:49
I just found out first hand,it does feel more stable I towed an equipment trailer today and it was easier to keep in line and felt more stable with my new C/C truck than the reg/cab I had. I do miss the sportiness of the R/Cab though it was a light quick truck.

JimWilson
06-07-2003, 14:32
Originally posted by SparkyTX:The longer wheelbase is ALWAYS gogint o be mores table. I don't think that's being debated.

Originally posted by SparkyTX:And, BTW, the regular cab long box is 20" shorter (wheelbase) than the crew cab short box. And that is a HUGE difference when towing. That sounds highly unlikely. The difference in overall length is probably half that, so I doubt the wheelbase is going to differ so significantly.

DieselDixon
06-10-2003, 23:34
If you get the long bed you get the bigger fuel tank!

Comet
06-11-2003, 11:18
From GM's spec sheet
R/Cab Long Box wheelbase = 133"
CC SB wheelbase = 153"