PDA

View Full Version : going cross country - what to bring?

Dmaxducker
05-24-2003, 17:03
We are going cross country in the truck this summer - California to Michigan and back. We currently have about 15K miles on the truck without a problem. My question is, what would you recommend taking along in terms of parts/maintenance, etc. in case of problems on the road. We are not trailering. I figure one oil change while en route. A toolbox. Anything else you all take on long trips or maintenance before taking the trip? Thanks

dmaxalliTech
05-24-2003, 17:17
dmaxducker, what part of Mi are you going to?? If anywhere on the west side of the state, it will be worth your while to stop in Grand Rapids, I will give you a mid-trip check up, change the oil and heck, I will buy you lunch! Email me directly with your trip plans.

afp
05-24-2003, 17:30
- Enough additive for the trip--I just started using JKs FPPF/8+ mix.

- A quart of the oil you are using

- A quart of ATF

- A fuel filter

- A stap wrench to remove the fuel filter

- A wrench to remove the water seperator from the filter

- A bottle of diesel fuel de-geller (mainly for winter)

- If you will be remote, brake fluid and PS fluid

- I also bring a totally stock airbox with a paper filter (mine is modded w/Amsoil filter) and the soecial torx bit required to change out the MAF. Some dealers want to see the truck totally stock if it is brought in for warrany work.

Blaine

Dmaxducker
05-24-2003, 17:38
That sounds great but we'll be going from Chicago to Ann Arbor area then back down to Indiana. So I think we'll be a good distance away from you. We're taking our son to a few colleges to visit this summer so our schedule is abit tight. Would you recommend a mid trip check then?

dmaxalliTech
05-24-2003, 18:20
If you are going to Chicago to Ann Arbor, I assume you will take I-94 across the state of MI. If you do, You are only about 1 hour away from me. Mid trip check would only be necessary if you would like free lunch or whatever time of day it it ;)

afp suggestions are right on. Also make sure your getting fueled up at busy truckstops and not ma and pop stations that dont move alot of fuel. This will help avoid needing that spare filter very soon..

If at all possible, try to plan in an extra couple of hours. I would like to meet you.

Dmaxducker
05-24-2003, 18:41
dmaxalliTech, thanks for the offer. Usually, food is all it takes for me to alter my plans. I may take you up on that. It would be good to meet up. As our plans firm up, I'll let you know when we might roll in. Thanks again!

dmaxalliTech
05-24-2003, 21:47
Sounds good, you may email me directly.
Eric

pinehill
05-25-2003, 00:02
Make that at LEAST 2 fuel filters. If you get a load of bad fuel (algae), the one on the truck clogs, the second one tells you the fuel is bad, and the third (and maybe fourth) is the one you install after draining and refilling the tank.

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

JEBar
05-25-2003, 03:28
other than a good flashlight, about the only thing I'd add to the is a spare fan belt ... I wouldn't anticipate any trouble with so few miles on yours but I've had belt problems on past trips and have become somewhat paranoid about them :eek: ..... Jim

dmaxalliTech
05-25-2003, 08:37
You know, with this group of people, I would not bring anything, just find out who is on your way, you could stop there for the night, bum a few meals, maybe a fuel filter change etc. I bet you could come clear to MI and not go more then 300 miles without running into somebody on here. If you play your cards right, you could even get a few loads of fuel!! :D :D :D

DIESEL/VETTE
05-28-2003, 13:47
AFP

WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT SIZE WRENCH FITS THE WATER SEPERATOR ON THE FUEL FILTER?

BassinRVer
05-29-2003, 18:11
You need to bring me!!!!!!!!!!!!

mackin
05-29-2003, 19:33
Toilet paper

Tooth brush and paste

Razor

Water =&gt;drinking

Aspirin for self if wife is a talker

Deodorant optional see above

Change of clothes

American Express .....

Mac :D :D :D

Have fun !!!!!!

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mdadgar
05-29-2003, 23:58
You're not packing a lift and a wheel mounting machine?? You'll regret not bringing the rest of the garage!

Man, you guys absolutely crack me up. The OLDEST of these trucks is only 2 years old now.

Just get in the truck and start driving. You'll be fine. Leave the repair shop at home.

- Mark, just drive and drives and drives

Captain Mal
05-30-2003, 20:37
Dmaxducker,

Man, you believe all that stuff and you will need a parts trailer.

Take along an extra fuel filter and the 'stuff' to change it. Throw in some injector cleaner 'sometimes'. Forget the rest. You are under warranty and there are dealers everywhere.

Start with fresh oil and a new filter. Skip the oil change on the road. You're talking only about 5,000 miles. I do it all the time and rarely even use any oil while towing some huge trailers. Dump the oil when you get back, leave the old filter on, grease the truck and put it back on the road for another 5,000.

Oh, enjoy yourself.