PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel Failure on my ZF-6

MaxACL
05-25-2003, 22:53
After a hard day of teaching Air Force things to the Army, I get in my 3500 to head to the hotel and I can

mdrag
05-26-2003, 01:34
MaxACL,

I'd suggest that the dealer take a few moments to read about the warranty coverage on the products he sells...sad indeed :mad:

I pulled out the warranty book for my 2001 Dmax - the FLYWHEEL is specifically mentioned as being covered by the 100K/$100 deductible warranty (included in the COMPLETE ENGINE ASSEMBLY covered by this warranty) :eek:

As expected, clutch linings are excluded from warranty coverage. Good luck.

GMCTRUCK
05-26-2003, 11:07
Flywheel is also mentioned as covered in my 03 manual. You need to tell you dealer to check again.

pinehill
05-26-2003, 11:14
Watch out for AAMCO. They always seem to find a lot of extra things that need replacement.

MaxACL
05-26-2003, 11:49
My Dilemma

GMCTRUCK
05-26-2003, 12:27
You might get away with that mother-in-law deal in Texas.

srubrn
05-26-2003, 19:29
MAX,

I just had my flywheel, clutch,pressure plate, and throwout bearing/slave cylinder replaced under warranty. Yes the flywheel is under the 100k warranty. There is a updated flywheel to replace the one in there. Mine was overnighted from Canada.

If you have to pay for the clutch and pressure plate yourself, better go ahead and do it, it is always a good idea to replace them when replacing a flywheel.

Jelisfc
05-27-2003, 07:22
I'd double check with the dealer or even a Chevy dealer close by. Maybe they can talk some sense into the GMC dealer.

See what thinking those bad thoughts about the Army will do. I just got done teaching Army stuff to Air Force, Navy , and Marines. My truck worked just fine. ;) ;)

a64pilot
05-27-2003, 07:31
A little advice from someone that has spent a lot of time at Ft.Hood. Get it out of Killeen, If you have to pay to have it towed to Austin do so. All of the folks in Killeen have made their living from ripping off G.I.'s for more time than either of us have been alive.

MaxACL
05-27-2003, 13:26
Thanks Guys, Guess I'll eat the price for the plate and disk.

a64pilot: Point taken. A friend will park it in a secure place on the post till I return.

Jelisfc: OK...OK... Next time I'll have pure thoughts about the Army, especially when my truck is in close proximity. I'll still use doubled-over tape on the Kleenex when I stick it on the white board.

srubrn: Todd, haven't heard from you in a while. Where you been?

Mike
:cool: :cool:

a64pilot
05-27-2003, 14:08
MaxACL,
Yeah, that too. But, I meant get the truck to a GM dealer away from Killeen. I may get flamed here and don't want to cite any specifics, but I believe you would be better served by a GM dealer in this instance, not AAMCO or any other chain. This should be a warrantable repair and from past experience I believe you would be better served any where other than Killeen or Harker Heights or Copperas Cove if you get my drift. ;)
On edit: I believe this should be covered under your basic warrenty and no need to involve your extended warranty.

[ 05-27-2003: Message edited by: a64pilot ]</p>

MaxACL
05-27-2003, 14:36
a64, Could you quote me the page number of the manual that points to the GM warranty? I'm separated from my truck by about 1900 miles.

What part of Texas is California in? El Paso perhaps???
:D

srubrn
05-27-2003, 21:01
MaxACL,

My free subscription ran out and at the time I had had about all I could stand of the fuel filter stuff. So I didn't pay til the other day.

The manual transmission stuff got me back in.

I guess I missed commenting. I have stopped commenting on the filter issue. I have what I have and it is working fine.

MaxACL
05-28-2003, 14:08
Todd, Tell me about your fuel filter. I've been out of the country for a while and still confused about the OEM filter.

Mike

srubrn
05-28-2003, 17:23
Well I am still using the Stanadyne FM-100 pre-oem on the frame rail in front of the fuel tank. I am now using a 6in. 2 micron filter and it last about 4300 miles. When I run out of 2 micron filters, I am going up to a 6in. 5 micron filter and see if makes it to 5k when I change my oil. If they are stopping up, then they are working. Redneck logic.

a64pilot
05-29-2003, 07:26
MaxACL,
Sorry I forgot to look and am at work today, 12 hours yesterday and looking at about the same today. Can some one else help him out? Where does it say the flywheel is part of the engine and therefore covered by the 100,000 mile engine warranty?

a64pilot
05-29-2003, 07:51
Went out to the truck and got my manual. On page 12 of the 01 warranty section under Diesel engine it specifically states that the flywheel is part of the engine and covered under the 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty subject to a $100 deduction. Real clear cut, no wiggle room for the dealer IMHO. You should not have to pay more than $100 for a flywheel. Again get the truck away from Killeen and I think that you will be treated fairly.

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited by: a64pilot ]</p>

MaxACL
05-29-2003, 13:59
Thanks a64, The extended warranty will replace the flywheel and I'll pay for the plate and disk. My concern is, if I had taken it to a GMC dealer and they had stood good for it then what all would they replace for free (or $100 ded) compared to what the extended warranty will do. And I called the GMC dealer here in CA and they said the flywheel is not covered no more than the starter would be. He wouldn't go out to a truck and look on page 12 like you said. He suggested I call a dealer in Texas and leave him alone. :mad:

Otherwise... I having a great day! :mad:

Mike

luvthesmellofdiesel
05-30-2003, 13:25
Mike,

Had mine replaced a couple of months ago down here in Austin at Henna Chevrolet. They specifically told me it was part of the 100K engine warranty. The reason I wanted to know is because I figured I would be back in every 16K miles to get it replaced...

Thanks,
Tim

MaxACL
05-30-2003, 15:06
luv... What all did they replace?

luvthesmellofdiesel
06-24-2003, 07:52
Sorry for taking so long to reply, haven't been on the forums in a while. As far as I know, they only replaced the flywheel, at least that's what the pink papers stated. I asked to see the clutch and throwout when it was out of the truck so I could take a look, but of course, that didn't happen. :-( I figure I'll get another chance at 32K miles anyway. :-(

Tim