PDA

View Full Version : Sad day in Mudville.(everybody read)

Randee of the Redwoods
12-25-2003, 16:02
Everybody read this because it is a ramble with some good tips scattered throughout.
GM8 turbo is now on. I had to Dremel the stripped nut off(that I stripped). After an hour with a hammer and screwdriver, I removed the umpteen bolts that hold in the inner fender. TIP-Do yourself a favor boys: if you work on the turbo, take out the umpteen bolts and stlip out the inner fender. It makes the work easier and more fun realizing the inner fender actually BOLTS in place(don't know what to say for you later model guys). Hammered for another hour, knocked off the nut bits, and finally swapped out the old turbo. Everything went back in as easy as it came apart. TIP-on the gm8 unit, take off the heat shield, wastegate diaphram, and exhaust housing. It makes muscleing the turbo and attachments MUCH easier. All bolts are reachable. While the inner fender was off, I also replaced the other 2 passenger side glow plugs. I was not happy with the results. Number 8 was broken. Only a quarter inch or so left on the plug. I tried shooting some light into the hole with all the clearance I had, but it was just too small so I do not know the whereabouts of the missing plug piece. The new plug slipped right in so it's not lodged anywhere. When the motor was buttoned up, I started it to make sure I didn't blow anything up(TIP-just disconnect the batteries, laziness only gets you arc weld marks on your turbo housing). The truck started very differently than usual(I'm happy, it started). I shrugged it off as being in the sun in over 45* weather. Later on, after the sun went down, I was cleaning up and had to put the wheel back on, but needed to turn the wheel some to get clearance for the torque wrench. It roared to life in an instant. How odd. A short while later, I had to move the truck. It roared to life AGAIN. I'm now convinced my starting woes are at least half solved with the broken plug replaced and new ones all around. Motor still makes a helluva racket, but it sure does start better.
Ran out of daylight so the exhaust will be worked on tomorrow. I'm not happy about that broken plug. The engine is now officially on borrowed time until I can get the broken piece accounted for. I don't know when that will be. I borrowed my parent's driveway in Richmond this Christmas to do the work(hey, I'm gonna be there anyway....). And to top it all off, the low coolant light showed it's ugly face for the second time this year.
I replaced the brittle vacuum line to the wastegate. The original was literally breaking at my touch. I lucked out and had a spare. As I was changing it, the vacuum supply line from the pump broke. TIP-check them ahead of time and have replacements on hand. They aren't hard to replace, but it's better to do it while you are there.
So my self torture with this thing is almost over. Why do I do this to myself? Anyway, the gm8 is on and I'll let you know how it goes. I have hard numbers on egt and boost as well. This was my first long trip since the Xmonitor install. I'll share those later.
But now I have learned that I am leaking gear oil from the front end at a dripping pace. Wondering how much it would cost to have the whole front end resealed if I payed some one to do it(ouch).
The broken plug, the leaking gear oil, the second showing of the coolant light-yea, it's a lot of not good things. But it's still doing ok for an Ebay purchase. We'll see how long it will last.

dslpwr
12-25-2003, 17:10
When you changed vacuum line did you replace it with GM lines?
If so do you have parts number, my dealer can not seem to find then.
Thanks

JohnC
12-25-2003, 17:31
If you pull the #8 injector you can see into the precombustion chamber. Not much point, though, 'cuz the tip of the glow plug has most assuredly passed through the combustion chamber and out the tailpipe by now. If it was still in the engine you'd know it...

Maybe why it ended up on ebay...

[ 12-25-2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

Randee of the Redwoods
12-26-2003, 16:31
JohnC, you're dead on what I'm hoping. When I pulled the bad plug out my heart sank REAL deep. With the missing piece unaccounted for, I can't say what is going to happen. When it came out, my head was where the inner fender should be as I removed it for turbo access. The injector was right in front of me, no easier way to get to it. But, I passed on removing it for sake of time. I was working on swapping in the GM8 turbo and reworking the exhaust. I didn't want more work. The weather did hold out both days and was very pleasant. For now, though, I'm hoping and praying that the piece did fall in and crush it's way out. No telling what that may have done to the piston, but it still runs so so well, I'm trying not to focus on it.

Randee of the Redwoods
12-26-2003, 16:53
dslpwr-for the plastic lines that feed the turbo wastegate daiphram, I just used 1/8" plastic hard line tubing from Advance Autoparts. It should be available about anywhere. The end piece is not special, either. It's a plastic barb pushed into a short 2" or so piece of rubber tubing. You can pull tubing off the barb. You can then pull the hardline tube end off the barb as well. The tubing is glued into the hardline end, so it will not be reusable. For replacement, use 1/8" to 5/16" hardline hose end adapter. All those types of parts should be stocked right next to the hardline. Just push the hardline into the hose end and voila! New GM vacuum line. What irked me the most was how the hard line was tightly packed. Let it sit in the sun for a few minutes to soften up to make it easier to untangle. It'll still be a pain to work with, but a few years in your engine bay and it will conform just like the original stuff. If you have any more questions, let me know.

dslpwr
12-26-2003, 17:50
Thanks for the info.

rustypig
12-26-2003, 22:58
Randee...for what it's worth I'm not to sure I'd lose to much sleep over the lost glow plug tip. I've done it, and heard of many others having lost some, (especially losing a tip during extraction from swollen plugs) with no ill effects. If your really concerned you could always compression test it for any damage.

As far as replacing vac lines, I took smaller rubber line and snaked it through larger 3/8 fuel line for heat and "rub through" protection. It was cheaper than factory stuff, and should last way longer than the engine will last.

PS...been following your ebay purchased adventure, sounds like all is working out great so far.

Randee of the Redwoods
12-27-2003, 11:31
Rusty-yea. I guess I can't really complain. With 184xxx miles, things like water pumps, fuel pumps, front/rear seals, are bound to need attention, expecially when you don't know the repair history of the vehicle. On good notes-all the silicone I put on the oil filter adapter sealed it up, the tcase does not leak(that I've seen), the rear end seeps a bit but doesn't actively drip or leak, all electrical save for the outside cargo light works great with no problems. I put similar time and money into my Jimmy when I purchased it so I suppose you could just call this the "ranaissaince" period.

bnmccoy
12-30-2003, 09:12
DSLPWR: the plastic line to the waste-gate is sold as a package along with the line from the vacuum pump. It is listed as a "harness."

I'd try to find the part # I used but mine is the light duty with EGR, so would be different anyway from yours.

Bob