PDA

View Full Version : Winter tire question

SledZep
04-02-2002, 06:57
This is my first 4x4, and I was wondering if anyone feels the need to run the new style Snow tires that are available for cars and light trucks. We swapped out the wife's Michelins for a set and I was completely amazed!
Should I consider getting a set for my truck?
Weight is not an issue. I have nothing to carry, and barely anything to tow. I am not really worried about a little extra grip. I am sure I would get that, and would probably be a little safer in marginal conditions when you are not yet in 4wd. What I am wondering is will they let me get though when my M/S tires will fail me in 4wd?

Thanks
SledZep
:confused:

Kennedy
04-02-2002, 08:09
I run Bridgestone Blizzak's in 235/85 10 ply for winter. I figure if they eliminate ONE insurance deductible claim, they will pay for themselves, and that's not even factoring elimination of risk for personal injury.

Seeing the baloney skins that some people drive on just scares me!

I pulled the Blizzaks as winter all but missed us here. I am running Firestone Steeltex A/T's with extra siping cut in them for the transitional and summer months.

Diverguy
04-02-2002, 15:51
Sledzep;
Check with your state and see if you are required by law to have winter tires on your vehicle. Throw a couple of sand bags in the back of the truck (inner tube style w/ 100-150 lbs of wetsand in them) to help with traction. If you like exploring the back roads in the winter i.e. the gravel variety buy a set of chains because if the snow is wet and packed 4wd is not going to help you. I said it once and I'll say it again I love my Nokian winter tires.

SledZep
04-02-2002, 15:53
Did you cut the Siping in yourself? If so, how?
The amount of siping I saw in the tire was one of my considerations when I bought. If anyone made them in 285's I would definately go for it.

SledZep

SledZep
04-02-2002, 15:57
Diverguy...
Yeah, I used the tube sand in my ranger and plan on doing it in this truck too. We really didn't have any winter this year though. I only drove in Snow twice!

SledZep

NickLeinonen
04-03-2002, 05:54
another option in the winter tire field is the nokian hakkapelliitta lt.
[http://www.nokiantires.com/html/HakkaLT.html]
it is avalable in the factory 215/85, 245/75 & 235/85 in 10 ply, and in 265/75 in 8 ply. nokian makes some real good winter tires. if i do keep my tahoe a few years more, the 235/85 are what she is going to get.