PDA

View Full Version : Lucerix Mirrors - Again

JLee
04-02-2002, 12:25
Some time back I read a thread where folks were giving dimensions regarding how much their X-Mount mirrors protrude from the side of the truck. I'm very interested because, 1) I have a small garage, and 2) I want to be able to REALLY see well to the rear. My recollection is there was a lot of variance in the measurements, probably because its hard to determine where and how everybody measured.

I'd like to take another shot at it. Would several of you folks with Lucerix mirrors be willing to give me the total width from the outside edge of the passenger mirror to the outside edge of the driver-side mirror - both with the mirrors compressed and extended? I think it should be pretty easy to lower both windows and run a tape across the inside of the cab from edge to edge.

Thanks

Jim

Joe Dawson
04-02-2002, 14:53
I just went and measured mine. In=97, Out=104

Kennedy
04-02-2002, 15:36
You do know they fold in and detent in the out position don't you?

AB_DURAMAX
04-02-2002, 20:34
Just measured...

In was 97 1/4 "
Out was 104 3/8"

Diesel Girl
04-03-2002, 06:33
Speaking of these mirrors, mine are now installed and are vibrating with every little bump in the road. It's distracting since the image you see out of the corner of your eye is always moving around.

What's up with this?? For $400+ I would have thought they'd be a little steadier.

And the truck now has a new name - Dumbo. These mirrors are HUGE!!!

8.1PWR
04-03-2002, 07:18
I was wondering about the vibration level my self. Also I notice that there is a plastic insert in these mirrors that wraps around, is there a turn signal option available if you remove the insert? If not maybe they should think about it.

jannal
04-03-2002, 08:39
I have had my Lucerix mirrors for a few months now and have been somewhat concerned about the vibration problem. We just completed a 1,400 mile trip from Indio CA to Vancouver, B.C. up I-10, Hwy. 99 and I-5. When I installed the Bugflector II it appeared that the vibration increased although I am not convinced that it was as a result of the airflow change or just the road conditions. On the trip home I noticed that the wind caused the mirrors to vibrate, as did the cement sections of the highway. Driving on smooth pavement with no wind, no vibration. I check to make sure the nuts are tight about once a month and that seems to help. We pull a 35 ft. 5th. Wheel and I find the mirrors function well.
----------------------------------------------------------
2002 GMC 3500 HD SLT extended cab 4x4
DMAX/ALLISON - BD Exhaust Brake

JLee
04-03-2002, 08:40
Thanks for the measurements.

On the vibration issue - seems like I read another thread where they say you really have to crank down the bolts. Try a search, I think it was on this forum.

Jim

MABurns
04-03-2002, 08:52
OK, I had read just about every post on these mirrors and was about to order them (today) and now I am second guessing the vibration concerns.

How much to they vibrate, and do they all?

I only need them for the occasional camping venture and would prefer not to do 80% of my solo driving with a vibration that isn't there with the stock ones.

Colorado Kid
04-03-2002, 09:14
I don't have mine yet, but I also have a small garage. My solution will help MABurns' "80%" problem and JLee's small garage problem, I intend to remove them and reinstall the factory mirrors when I'm not towing the camper. It's been repeatedly said here that the install job is under 5 minutes. It takes me longer than that to raise the pressure in the rear tires in preparation to hook up, or lower it when returning to "regular" service...no big deal.

Kennedy
04-03-2002, 09:21
Colorado Kid,

GREAT POINT! As for vibration, it seems that some have it and some don't. I believe it leans towards those that do not have a problem, plus the fastener tightening thing. What you also have to remember here is there is much more glass here, and no matter what you do, a mirror that sticks out farther will be prone to more vibration....

JLee
04-03-2002, 14:45
Colorado Kid - good point - If it REALLY is a 5 min job!! AND for mechanically "challenged" folks like me! When are you going to get your mirrors? I would sure like to have a look at some installed.

Thanks

Jim

APR2000
04-03-2002, 18:03
I've had my Lucerix mirrors for over a year and I cannot detect any vibration, although I seldom drive over 75-80 mph. You get used to the size and will not likely change them back and forth to the OEM. Those mirrors are useless. Why go back?

motovet
04-04-2002, 01:11
I have had mine for less than 9 hours. They just came today wich was a pleasant surprise as "somebody" said they would arrive around the middle of the month. The install is VERY easy, so swapping between them and the stockers would be a snap.Why anyone would want to is beyond me though cause these are MUCH better,lots of vision and to me look great. Going back to the stock ones would be like slapping the 245's back on. Just used them around town today (45 mph or less), with no vibration. Will give them a real test on the hiway tommorrow. Thanks John.

SoCalDMAX
04-04-2002, 01:50
I drove around for about 2,000mi with my Lucerix mirrors on, no vibration whatsoever, but I had them so tight the door metal was bending slightly (had to get the mirrors flush.)

It truly is a 5 min job, even less if you use a deep socket 10mm on a drill motor...

I took mine off for cruising around town because even when pulled in, they were very close to the other trucks I blew past on the fwy... guess how CA adds more lanes to the fwy. They just paint narrower lanes! ;)

Regards, Steve

Kennedy
04-04-2002, 08:16
Motovet,

The last shipment caught me off guard. I had just received 4 sets of Dodge mirrors (ordered by mistake) and was kicking myself because the next order wouldnt be in for a while. Fed Ex pulls in the following Monday with 5 more GM sets!!! Tuesday he drops off another display unit. Now I have 3 display units. Too bad they are all RH mirrors!

sonofagun
04-04-2002, 15:14
I have had my mirrors on for about three months and have no vibration. I did call Lucerix and ask them for a torque figure on the bolts. They gave me one (don't remember what it was but used a micro wrench on it). They seem big but if you pull a trailer you will love them. I don't think I will ever drive close enough to another vehicle to scrape them off. Some of the bridge repair jobs in the West are VERY TIGHT and I haven't come close to them (though my eyes got real big)
Used to worry that I'd hit them with my trailer --- no more.

They are pricey but well worth it. If they are vibrating, tighten them up. They will stop.

Good luck,
Bob

mdrag
04-04-2002, 19:40
My PS Lucerix has a slight vibration sometimes - usaully when it is really windy and blowing from a certain direction. Really not a big deal as long as it does not get worse.

The OEM mirrors on my '92 Burb were MUCH MUCH worse as far as vibration - they were replaced twice, once under warranty and the second time after losing a battle with the garage - still vibrated.

The width of the Lucerix mirrors (non-extended) comes in really handy as a guide for the width of the dually - if the mirrors clear easily the rear duallys should clear - if it's close - procede with caution. :D

Colorado Kid
04-05-2002, 09:37
JLee,

Well, I have DTA Running Boards in boxes in the Garage, and the Reese 16K Hitch with slider also in boxes in the garage. I don't want to order any more projects, no matter how small, before I get the ones I already have done. I'm taking some Graduate level classes and have two small boys... The homework load looks fairly light this weekend, maybe I'll get the boards on so the boys can climb in. I'll let you know when I get my mirrors, and you can have a look at them. I'll need them by mid June at the latest, cause I'm going to tow the Camper up to the Y-camp at Grandby.

AB_DURAMAX
04-06-2002, 20:31
Mine don't vibrate at all.... I have had them on my truck for almost a year now.

[ 04-06-2002: Message edited by: AB_DURAMAX ]</p>

BobW
04-06-2002, 20:34
Those of you with the vibration problem, a question. Does the vibration occur with the mirrors both extended AND retracted?

kidzinheritanz
04-06-2002, 23:58
Installed mine two weeks ago and took the truck for a good run on the highway with the mirrors fully extended. No vibration at all. Great product.

zrone
04-13-2002, 18:34
I just returned from a 3,000 mile trip and noticed the passenger side mirror started to vibrate. Not alot but enough to be noticable. I tightened the bolts but this did not help as it appeared the glass was vibrating. I called AutoMirror Source where I purchased them and they are going to send me a new glass and a tool to install it. They said this should cure the problem.

Dmaxenvy
04-15-2002, 12:44
Does anybody have the remote power option? Does this option plug directly into the OEM power controls?

JF
04-15-2002, 16:06
My concern has been the posts regarding mirrors not fitting flush, or really having to be cranked down (to the point of metal warping) for them to fit flush. Has this been a problem accross the board, or just a few isolated cases?

Fifth wheel install coming soon, then mirrors.

Joe Dawson
04-15-2002, 16:48
I have the remote power option and they plug right into the factory harness. Mine fit flush and don't vibrate at all with only moderaate torque on the bolts. I've read other posts of the mirrors vibrating and it seems that the glass is vibrating in the mount. If this is the case then tightening the bolts won't help.

MGM
04-15-2002, 17:06
I have a problem with my Lucerics in that at the detent position i cant get enough travel outwards for good viewing, this necessitates me to manualy place it between the detent and full to the window position. This is no good, because when you close the door it goes out or in again!any ideas this is damn frustating!!
:confused:

Southard
04-15-2002, 19:37
I have only one problem with my Lucerix mirrors. I am fairly short and I sit with the seat closer to the front than most people. The mirrors have the detent in the wrong position. I cannot see the side of the vehicle when pulling a trailer. The problem isn't too bad when the mirrors are slid in but when they are slid out they are practically useless while in the detented position. I have to pull the driver's side mirror just slightly back from the detent and then it works perfectly. The passenger's side is better and I can usually leave it in the detent. The mirrors will stay in the mid-detent position just fine until I go down a dirt road or slam the door.

I was going to just cut off and reweld the detent dowel. I called Automirror Source to ask for info on how to get all of the plastic removed and they told me that there have been some mirrors with the detent welded incorrectly. They have said that they are sending me another set of mirrors, under warranty. With the detent in the correct place, these mirrors would be great.

I have found that by tightening the bolts very snuggly, that there is very little vibration. I would like for the mirrors to be just an inch or two wider but they are perfectly acceptable at there present width.

SoCalDMAX
04-15-2002, 20:04
JF,

I wouldn't worry too much about fit or vibration. I was the one who posted about really torquing down on the bolts. It's not enough to damage anything, but they do need to be snug enough to compress the foam and not allow the mount to vibrate.

AFAIK, they are the best option out there for a towing mirror on a GM truck.

Regards, Steve

Maverick
04-15-2002, 23:58
My drivers side mirror heating element quit working on mine. Pass. works fine. Called Lucerix and they are sending a whole new drivers mirror. They said they are backed up and didn't know when it would ship but I am on the list. The "List"?!! :eek:

mdrag
04-16-2002, 00:07
Something to consider when buying the Lucerix mirrors is the Lifetime Warranty offered by Lucerix. Bestop and CIPA sell these mirrors under their name, but IIRC, offer a 1 year warranty.

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002534&p=

Vantage #51
04-16-2002, 19:58
I currently have a dmax K3500 crew with the pull out camper mirrors,With the 48 ft Featherlite 3 Car trailer, 8 1/2 ft wide we haul, I cannot see the sides of the trailer with the camper mirrors.Seem to need something about 3 to 5 inches wider, do these mirrors that we are speaking of suit this application?

Maverick
04-16-2002, 20:37
Vantage #51,

I am sorry but these mirrors won't be any better. I also tow a 51' Take 3 and a 25' GN flatbed and if I have freight that is 102" wide I can't see the sides of the freight either. They are still better than stock because of the power and heat option and the height of the mirror. These at least let you see what is on the trailer. GM thinks you want to look at the ditch. :rolleyes: The best option I think are still the west coast mirrors. Oh ya, welcome aboard.

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Diesel Girl
04-19-2002, 05:43
After looking more closely at the vibration of my mirrors I've figured out that the passenger side is pretty stable but the drivers side glass is vibrating like crazy. Just driving along, slow speed, fast speed whenever it's moving like crazy but the housing is not.

Everytime I call Auto Mirror Source I get their recording and cant even leave a message cause their mailbox is full - tells you to hang up!!

Should I call Lucerix or continue trying to get thru to the vender???

All in all, I'm disappointed with them. Maybe I'll like them when I tow for the first time but that wont be for another few weeks.

stanbro
04-19-2002, 07:10
I recently got these mirrors. I bought them directly from Lucerix as I wanted to know that I was dealing directly with the manufacturer should something be wrong or go wrong. I am glad that I did as the passenger mirror glass is badly distorted (i.e., not flat). When viewed at arms length it doesn't look too bad, but when mounted to the truck and viewed from the driver's seat, the distortion is really bad.

I called them first thing the next day. I too was added to the list! My understanding is that the list is pretty long. That tells me that they are selling a lot of these mirrors and that they are getting a fair number of customer problems. There have been many posts over the months regarding manufacturing defects and the like. So, be sure that you buy from a source that is going to give you good service.

After poking at Lucerix a couple of times they committed to ship a replacement on Monday. So, only about a week delay from first call to shipping out a replacement. Not too bad. They were very pleasant on the phone, but did seem a bit overhelmed.

In general, I really like the mirrors. Mine have little to no vibration and the quality of the materials seems good.

FrankA
04-19-2002, 07:33
I just put the factory 2003 mirrors on my 2001 truck. They seem to work fine. I don't think they are availible with power but the do extend a good ways. 340.00 from dealer but might be able to get them cheaper from a interenet GM parts place.

2001 EC LB Alison, Fumoto valve. Kennedy headlamp harness. Magnaflow Exhaust,Westin Nerfs, 600 watt inverter, Spa-111,Sony Cd, 6-mini-disc changer, 150 watt bazooka bass tube.

Diesel Girl
04-19-2002, 07:57
I just talked to Lucerix (incidentally, Auto Mirror Source is simply Lucerix's web page name, same company). They are sending me a shim kit. Said that because of thethe heating element in the heated mirrors, they dont always seat properly in the housing during manufacturing. If the shim kit doenst work will send a new glass. If that doesnt work will send whole new unit.

Very pleasant to deal with.

JLee
04-19-2002, 09:48
Frank A - are the 2003 mirrors something new or pretty much the same as last year? My recollection when I bought my 2002 is the GM towing mirrors were manual adjustment but extend. I haven't decided on the Lucerix and I'm getting a bit concerned over what appears to lots of little on-going quality assurance issues. Some vibrate, some don't - defective glass in some - glass comes loose and has to be replaced, etc.

Jim

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: JLee ]</p>

bora
04-19-2002, 11:07
Does anyone make mirrors for our trucks that
are equivalent to the Ford mirrors with the second small convex mirror on the bottom.

FrankA
04-19-2002, 13:45
JLee,
The could be the same as the 2002, I don't know what those look like. They are the same ones that are on GM's website- click to silverado hd. No vibration so far and very easy to install. --Frank

bora
04-19-2002, 15:29
I have a 2002 2500HD but with the regular mirrors.

Do you know the part numbers for the GM mirrors

Bora

Colorado Kid
04-19-2002, 17:39
I'd delete it if I could! :mad:

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: Colorado Kid ]</p>

hjd3021
04-20-2002, 17:56
Just installed my Lucerix mirrors today. Installation was a snap and thanks to the forum I was sure to get the nuts extra tight. The mirrors work great. No vibration when driven over a rough concrete road. So far so good. It's nice to see a good product that has a manufacturer that will stand behind it if there are any problems! smile.gif smile.gif

SHOPMAN426
04-20-2002, 20:22
Hey Stanbro,

Where in Tigard do you live? I would like to get a look at your mirrors. Haven't got to see a set up close, only in pictures. I live off of Hwy 99 just before you reach Bull Mtn. Shoot me an e-mail at Shopman426@aol.com.

Thanks, SHOPMAN426.

Mike Resler. ;) ;) ;)

SHOPMAN426
04-20-2002, 20:37
Hey Stanbro,

What color is your truck? That way when I see another D-MAX in Tigard I will know it is you. I think I'm the only one with a white CC LB in town. You can't miss me, I'm running incognito, no stickers, no emblems.

Thanks, Shopman.

Mike Resler. :D :D :D

n3qik
04-21-2002, 11:19
I have had mine for 14 months(20K miles). Had passerger side mirror with warped glass, vibration on both sides, and a rattle on driver side when closing door. The warped glass is from glass being to big to fit the back plate, also the rattle is from the glue not sticking.Not sure about the vibration,got large fender washers to add stiffness to mounting points.

I have power only version. Even with the problems they are better than stock!! Just avoid one accident and they are paid for.

Dawg
04-22-2002, 15:28
I'm curious to know the length of the mirrors, both collapsed and extended. I measured my OE camper mirrors. From the center of the pivot point near the door to the outer edge of the mirror housing is about 16". They extend about 4 1/2", making for a total of about 20 1/2". I'm thinking about getting a set. The OE's just don't work that well on a 26' trailer. Thanks. ;)

JLee
04-22-2002, 15:47
Dawg - if you go back to the beginning of this thread you'll see several folks provided measurements. I asked them to measure side-to-side. Hope that helps.

jim

Colorado Kid
04-30-2002, 10:27
JLee (Jim),

Well I've got the mirrors on. I work near I-25 and Colorado Blvd. and I'm usually at work till about 6 PM. You wanna come by and look at them some time?

As far as the installation goes, if you own a 10mm deep set socket and have ever used it for anything you're qualified. The brown truck stopped in front of my house yesterday at 3:20 PM and by 3:35 they were on the truck. 15 minutes includes time to unpack, read instructions, locate tools, store old mirrors in shed, take out trash and put away tools...all while supervising two boys (4 years and 17 months).

The images in the mirror shake just the slightest amount when the tires thump...more than the stock mirrors, but better than any camper mirrors I've ever used, including West Coasters and Swing Aways.

I really ment to measure the overall width with the old mirror before I started, but I got carried away. The factory power mirrors both hang out equally, but because the detent angles for the arms are different side to side on the Lucerix the passenger side does not extend as far as the driver side. I'd estimate that the passenger side mirror in the "not towing" position is only about 2" wider than the stock mirror, but the one on the driver's side hangs out farther. I back into my garage with the passenger side near the wall, and have no center post in the doorway...I think I'm going to leave the Lucerixs on because the improved vision with the big flat passenger side mirror makes up for the small increase in width.

MABurns
04-30-2002, 12:29
Colorado Kid,
Thanks for the update. According to the BTTS (brown truck tracking system) I should have the box today. Thanks JK, great service.

I applaud your install time. I can't change my mind while I am supervising our 3yr old and her 1 yr old sidekick let alone tackle any work.

Perhaps later tonight when they go to bed.......

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: MABurns ]</p>

JLee
04-30-2002, 12:39
Colorado Kid - you bet I'd like to have a look at em!! I'll give you a call and work out a time.

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: JLee ]</p>

Colorado Kid
04-30-2002, 17:01
MABurns,

It wasn't that hard, I just assigned the older one to hold the parts I took off, set the old mirror on the grass, etc. Anything I was going to need again I set up on the dash (out of reach. Even four year olds have long enough attention spans for this job. The younger one just followed one or the other of us around. The Four year old was so curious about what was in the box that I had to do it right away...at least that's what I told our "boss" when she got home. ;) That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.