PDA

View Full Version : AUX LAMPS

thechevyhdman
04-02-2002, 17:22
I was wondering if anyone would know about this. Obviously our trucks have an auxillary lights button, and that slip of paper in my manual said it is used for police applications (light bars). I thought it showed that you must drill a big hole in the roof to get to the relay to wire up your aux lamps. Is that true? Or can I remove the headliner and get to the relay? When you hit the button you can hear the relay clicking. So I figure it has to be somewhere in the back, near the drivers side extended cab door. Now being the lazy S.O.B. that I am, I was thinking it would be a great way to wire in rear foglights for backing up or blinding people behind me who have their high beams on. Is this possible? Has anyone even seen the elusive aux lamps relay? I thought it would be good because obviously with a relay it could power some pretty decent fog lights, And I dont want to wire in to my reverse lights because I want to be able to turn it on at any time. And dont want to overlaod the electrical system. Any ideas ?

Maverick
04-02-2002, 18:25
HDMAN,

Open the drivers door, pull the rubber weatherstrip down from the top of the door in the middle. Pull your headliner down just enough to get you fingers in. Feel around and you find the wire. It has 2 wires. One is black, the other is brown. Black is ground. I have a reg. cab and pulled all the wire out and ran it to the back window and along the top of the rear window. I tucked mine under the headliner above the rear window. I drilled a hole in my CHMSL (center high mounted stop light) and ran the wire through and sealed it up with silicone. I run my yellow strobe when plowing with it. I mounted my strobe on my headache rack. You should have no problem running any kind of light that you want off the switch. Take a look here at my wire job.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=551338&uid=437876

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Stove
04-03-2002, 20:37
If you have an extneded cab open both front and suicide door. Look up were the back door latches and pull the plastic "pretty piece" off. Then work headliner down, kinda held up with industrial velcro. Honestly took much more force to remove the plastic and headliner than I thought, both were attached very secure. I have a yellow light for pushing snow run off of mine, but am switching to a magnetic spot light for the rest of the time.

later