PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid all over--- but resivour (?) is full?

MudNurI
04-03-2002, 06:42
last night, I was washing the ol girl, and at every wash, we was off the engine, etc.. to keep her lookin spankin new. well, to my suprise, as I was looking over the brake fluid resivour, I noticed there was/is brake fluid ALL over the place, and I do mean EVERYWHERE in that corner of the engine compartment. Even down the inner fender...the resivour is full, brakes are fine, but this kind of worries me. I stopped washing, and will be calling the dealer today, to try to get it in. The only thing that I can think of is that when they did the LOF, they filled up my fluids, that one included and dumped a full bottle!! Now I have no clue about brake fluid- BUT I would NOT think that they would have to fill that up, my brakes have always been fine, BUT how else did this crap get in here? I wiped off all the "connector's...and John drove it to work this morning, and called and said where I wiped is still clean, BUT it still baffles me. Anyone run into this?

Brandy :mad:

Monica
04-03-2002, 08:06
The same happened to me. I was washing my truck and noticed the spill every where. I check every part of the engine and when I touched underneath the brake cylinder, it was dripping wet. However, I had no problems braking or shifting and the brake fluid tank and reservoir was not losing fluid too fast. I took it to the dealer. They pressure tested the brake/clutch system and check everything but could not find the leak. I took it a second time and they finally found the problem. The hydraulic booster has gone bad. They ordered the part and fixed the problem. I have heard the many others have had problems with the hydraulic booster in the master cylinder. Take it you your dealer. Once they order the part, it is not a major deal. You should get your truck back the same day.

01_Duramax_Dually
04-03-2002, 09:45
Well I have not had this leaking problem, However I have noticed on mine and others that there appears to be "Seepage" from the resevoir. I wipe it off and make it clean but in no time residual brake fluid is back. I have also noticed that the resevoir is really kind of loose. You may want to see if you have a crack in your case, Maybe it flopped around enough to induce one. It is only plastic.

Just a thought

Jeff

Black Dog
04-03-2002, 11:27
It is most likely power steering fluid leaking from the seal between the hydro-booster and the master cylinder, not brake fluid. Brake fluid is a very different animal from PS fluid, which is just a light oil. Brake fluid will take the paint off stuff if it is left on there for any time at all. Check the PS fluid level.

battmain
04-03-2002, 12:09
Black Dog wrote...
"Brake fluid will take the paint off stuff if it is left on there for any time at all."

It will also damage some types of plastic. Last time I took the trailer out, found out the surge brake actuator was leaking. I dutifully wiped off the tailgate paint when I could, but didn't bother with the plastic parts. I have spots all over the lights and tailgate handle now. Going to try the dremel with some polish to see what happens...

Brian

Monica
04-03-2002, 12:25
Yes,straight brake fluid will strip paint and would have burned a little to the touch. It did take off some of the paint on the bottom parts that got soaked. But again, it was not as harsh are brake fluid would be when I touched underneath the dripping master cylinder. It did seem more like an oily substance that brake fluid. In any case, the replacement of the hydraulic booster seemed to have fixed the problem.

Stove
04-03-2002, 20:31
Sounds like the booster. Father's 02 HD had bad one right off the bat. It leaked and ran down the inner fender onto the shock and looked like a shock leaking. It was the booster, dealer had already done one.

later

MudNurI
04-03-2002, 21:36
so with the general consesus being Hydro Booster, thats what the dealer will be replacing. The good thing about my dealership, you have 1 service manager, and 1 mechanic. unless of course you have some emergency thing.... John hadn't had a chance to call them yet, but I will do it tomorrow morning, and get it in first thing for them to check it out.

hopefully my seat belt retractors are in...and if I get REALLY lucky, they will have some how come up with the steering shaft fix too... it would be almost as good as my birthday!

thanks a bunch guys!
Brandy

DieselsRule
04-03-2002, 21:53
Another bad booster on my truck. Started leaking the day after I got the truck. Sprayed brake fluid on exhaust manifold and it stunk. Should be getting replaced on Friday.

Black Dog
04-04-2002, 06:32
Hmmm, I think the leaky hydro-booster might be the most common problem on these trucks. Could be worse.