PDA

View Full Version : Fram vs AC Delco Oil Filters

DaveRuane
04-03-2002, 11:00
OK guys, Wal-Mart auto computers are updated for the 8.1L engine and even show 2500HD as a model choice now. These are the little computers used to select oil, air, PVC etc filters.

The FRAM filter that shows up for the 8.1L is PH8873. Looks just like an orange AC Delco PF454. Anybody have internal knowledge of these two brands - the good, the bad, and the ugly on them.

I've been using the AC Delco, but the convenience of wally world and my previous preference for Fram makes me want to switch. The cost is about the same - possibly the Fram is a buck more.

Any opinions or facts here?

TXMAX
04-03-2002, 12:19
There is a post here somewhere that has a thread to a filter test by an independent guy and he said the FRAM is terrible. I was getting some parts for the wife's car and talked to the manager at the Auto Zone and had the same discussion. He sells the FRAM and said there is no way he'd use it. So I'd stick with the AC Delco at least until Amsoil releases their new filter. My .02.

Abe

MNBowTie
04-03-2002, 12:26
Daveruane,

Stear clear of Fram Oil filters. They used to be one of the best back about 10-12 years ago. However, they are currently poorly rated. Check out the following link. [url]http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/ (http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/[/url)

DaveRuane
04-03-2002, 12:27
Additional note - Fram has a new Fumoto-like piece on the shelf at the local wally world. Replaces your oil plug, looks like a tube&plug assembly opens the valve. Kinda like the looks of it since it looks tamper-proof (unlike the Fumoto. They don't have a reference for them yet - it appears you need to know the trhead & size of your oil pan plug to get one. Only four to choose from at the store I was at.

Anybody notice them or using one yet?

bobojay
04-03-2002, 12:50
Go with the AC, at least until Amsoil comes out with theirs. AC's test out much, much better than Fram.
I just purchased 12 PF-454's from GMPartsDirect.com for $3.18 each including shipping. That was the minimum quantity they would go with.
Our Wal Mart's around here don't carry but minimal numbers of the most popular AC filters. The cheapest I could find them locally was from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $5.35 ea. Everyone else was in the $6 to $7.00 range.

TXMAX
04-03-2002, 13:18
DR,

I saw the FRAM Fumoto style valve at Auto Zone last night. I didn't have time to look at it but they are obviously moving them into all their customary outlets.

Abe

TxDoc
04-03-2002, 15:26
http://www.fram.com/products/acces/acceimg/hoseacttr.jpg

FRAM

TnMax
04-04-2002, 21:59
The local Wal-Mart here does not stock AC filters anymore. The clerk said,"Wal-Mart and AC had a disagreement over the price wal-mart was charging." He did not if Wal-Mart was to low or to high.
TnMax

TnMax
04-04-2002, 22:03
The local Wal-Mart here does not stock AC filters anymore. The clerk said,"Wal-Mart and AC had a disagreement over the price wal-mart was charging." He did not know if Wal-Mart was to low or to high.
TnMax
Left the know out.

Kennedy
04-04-2002, 23:20
You aren't serious about using a Fram filter are you :rolleyes:

If nothing else, send one to Mdrag and have him cut it apart...

DmaxMaverick
04-05-2002, 02:05
Just say NO....to FRAM!!

7mmSTW
04-05-2002, 16:22
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on Fram. I have seen them cut open before, kind of a joke if you ask me. :rolleyes: There are MUCH better filter manufacturers out there.

Later

Seven

dmaxstu
04-05-2002, 19:36
tnmax
Next time hit on the 3rd icon at the top and you can correct your mistake. Listen to me, a computer illiterate I found out about that little feature a long time ago it sure is handy. Stu