PDA

View Full Version : DMax down at 16k

GlenM
04-02-2002, 19:15
While towing my compact backhoe home from the job site today I noticed a very bad Allison trans leak. It appears to be leaking around the torque converter housing. It now sits at the Chevy dealer awaiting Mr. Goodwrench to frustrate me in the morning with the diagnosis. Anyone have any experience with the Allison leaking? Down truck equals lost income. This is very serious for my business.

Okie
04-02-2002, 21:40
Sorry off the subject, but what kind of backhoe?
J.L. Case?

Colorado Kid
04-03-2002, 13:24
I don't think I've read any posts where it turned out that the Allison had a massive leak, but a fuel leak has been misdiagnosed, even by the dealer at least once, as a transmission leak, because fuel running to the back of the valley on top or th eengine ends up dripping off the transmission. Is the leaking fluid bright red?

More Power
04-03-2002, 13:33
This thread has been moved to the 2500HD/3500 Drivetrain forum.

MP

GlenM
04-03-2002, 20:47
Mr. Goodwrench says front pump seal is bad. Need to remove transmission to change. Truck to be back in service on Friday at earliest. I think that’s over optimistic, planning on early next week. Was offered a GEO Prism as loaner, doesn’t help me much unless it can pull 8k.

Okie, it is a Kubota. Matches my sunset orange Duramax. The color coordination of truck and tractor was purely by accident.

GlenM
04-03-2002, 20:53
It would be like mistaking a runny nose for a sucking chest wound. No doubt about it, it is a trans leak. The fluid is bright red and pulls in mass on the floor, mine and the dealers!

Kennedy
04-03-2002, 23:30
From the title, I thought the Dmax went down...

Colorado Kid
04-04-2002, 10:40
OK, so it really is a massive Allison leak, I'll remeber now that there has been at least one. I wasn't kidding about the mistake though...several owners and at least one dealer tech have thought an Allison was leaking when it was fuel.

GlenM
04-04-2002, 13:52
Dealer called this morning. He no can fix. GM wants the tranny back. They are going to swap for a fresh one. Still declined the GEO Prizm offer.

GlenM
04-08-2002, 18:15
Got my truck back today with the new Allison installed. Looks like the dealer did a pretty neat job, I suspect the transmission is a rebuilt one though. The paint job on the oil pan looks like it was done with a handfull of gravel. Original pan had no paint?

glen

Turbo Al
04-09-2002, 10:55
Glen they paint all rebuilds black just to differenciate them from originals, it is probably a brand new one painted due to the fact that not many have gone through the system yet.

ChevysRus
04-09-2002, 10:55
GlennM

previous posts have stated GM spray paints all replacement Allisons. Probably new one just shown as a replacement by paint. Anyway, nice to see GM taking the high road by replacing these transmissions rather than trying to patch them up.

Sounds like a rather quick replacement too!

GlenM
04-09-2002, 14:19
No complaint at all about how they handled the replacement. I told the dealer how serious it was for my business not to have that truck on line. They really helped me as much as they could. I’m just really surprised about the Allison going bad. No prior indication, just started bleeding really bad all of a sudden.
All is well now.