PDA

View Full Version : RV Trailer/weights/License requirements

GBurton
04-04-2002, 19:46
I have noticed several topics concerning weight limits and towing capacities for the D/A trucks. I don't know and won't pretend to know what the different states require for proper license when towing RV trailers. I do know that in California there are some interesting rules that need to be looked at.

For those of you who are licensed in California may I suggest that you take a look at the two links that I listed below? For those of you in the other 49 states may I suggest you do a bit of research and find out if your state have limitations like California does.

I doubt that very many of our CHP officers know about the weight restrictions or about the endorsement that is required. I KNOW that you will have to find someone at DMV who is willing to find the proper procedure to add the over 10k but less than 15k restriction 41 to your license. No, I did not make a typo, once you cut through all of the garbage at DMV you will find out that it is really called a restriction, not an endorsement. The restriction is a D41.

After saying all of that, why am I concerned about having it on my license? It could become very important if you have a serious accident and have to defend yourself in court. Just maybe the other person’s attorney will know about it and challenge your right to be towing your large 5th wheel trailer without the proper endorsement on your license.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs3thru5.htm

George

odoh
04-04-2002, 20:10
GBurton ~ Having just returned from the 22 annual Camper/RV show at CalExpo. I was sitting here pondering this very same issue. There were a lot of huge trailers/5ers. I was wondering the legalities. Its all in the timing. smile.gif Thanks ~ odoh

GBurton
04-04-2002, 22:01
odoh

The sad part is the RV folks should have the correct information concerning license requirements but they are caught in the middle. They need to sell units to make a living but if they tell you that you need a special "something" added to your license or that your normal drivers license does not allow you to drive/pull your new toy it can kill a sale. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place! I know, after I found out about the California requirements I spoke with both the selling company and the folks who built my 5th wheel trailer. It sounded like I was talking to a certain German Sergeant that used to be on TV smile.gif "I know nothing"

George

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: GBurton ]</p>

Vette Racer
04-04-2002, 22:31
All I can say is that in Okla if you don't haul for hire you can pretty much do whatever you want to do as long as you cover the length rule.

tbrowne
04-05-2002, 09:55
Try going to the website for the state you are interested in. Most states have search engines and allow you to find the needed info.

Most government sites use the following naming paradigm for their sites. Change the "oh" to your state's two char abreviation.

http://www.state.oh.us/

This site will answer most of your questions about the State of Ohio.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/dist11/permitlegaldim.htm

Most states also adhere to Federal CDL requirements. i.e. If you don't drive a vehicle weighing 26,001 lbs or more and you don't haul hazardous material, then you don't need a CDL (Commercial Driver's License).

crafty
04-05-2002, 11:12
Here in Ontario, you must have your vehicle registered for the maximum weight you intend to carry. A class G licence is good for 11,000 KG (about 24,000 lbs) and that is the total weight of the truck, trailer and the load. The trailer you tow cannot weigh over 4,600 KG (including load) but I think travel trailers are excempt from that rule. Once the registered weight of your vehicle is over 4500 KG you must have a CVOR (commercial vehicle registration certificate) and that sets you up for doing a daily vehicle inspection report and paying a much higher fee for your licence sticker. If I had registered at the 4500 limit I would only be able to carry just over 3500 lbs and that wouldn't have even covered the weight of the trailer I want to pull.
The truck is currently registered to carry 7999 KG (17,637 lbs) so after subtracting the weight of the truck (6360 lbs) I am left with 11,277 lbs. That works for me since I only have the G licence. The yearly cost of my sticker is $252. There are a lot of half and 3/4 tons that are not legal up here and one by one I have seen the MTO guys pull them over. I'd rather be on the right side of the law.
:D :D :D

Speedy
04-05-2002, 13:10
I knew there was another reason not to live in California. Way too many rules.

I read through this stuff, and it is very confusing. It is obvious your lawmakers have way too much time on their hands.

I think this is the primary reason our forefathers included freedom to bare arms in our constitution, so we could protect ourselves from all this BS....

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Speedy ]</p>

4x4man
04-05-2002, 13:38
Just looked at Colorado and it looks like I will be oky doky when I get my 5er.
"Class R REGULAR; ANY VEHICLE WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT OR GROSS COMBINATION WEIGHT RATING OF 26,000 POUNDS OR LESS"

Trouble is everyone gets a Class R drivers license for their vehicles and most can't even control their little cars. I'd be afraid of some of those people towing any kind of substancial weight!! :eek:

Good thing to be aware of regardless...good info!!

Bob

GBurton
04-05-2002, 14:48
Hi Speedy
"I knew there was another reason not to live in California. Way too many rules."

OFF TOPIC BUT!
Don't get me started. Now we have some sucker who is trying to get a new tax added in California. He has decided that we need to pay more taxes to pay for medical trauma centers. I will admit that at times there are a lot of people injured in large-scale auto accidents when the fools drive 60+ MPH in very heavy fog. However this fool is not going after those people but he has decided that we need to pay a nickel tax on every bullet that you buy. Can you imagine going to your local hardware store to buy a $.98 box of 22’s and have to pay an additional $2.50 in taxes! Can anyone spell “Boston Tea Party?”

Trying to figure out a way to get out of this state without placing a financial hardship on my family!

George