PDA

View Full Version : Try this and help me!!

srubrn
04-04-2002, 12:03
Everybody go out and crank up your truck and apply the brake pretty hard and start turning the steering wheel. See if it becomes hard to turn near its furtherest left and right positions. Dealer has replaced my power steering pump and the Hydra-booster. Not fixed, new one on lot does it too.

GMC D-Max
04-04-2002, 12:18
Well OF COURSE! When the front wheels turn, they don't just pivot in one spot, they actually have to roll a bit if the truck isn't moving (the tire will travel through a short arc). With the brakes locked up, it's GONNA get hard when you get close to full lock, regardless of whether or not it has a new booster/pump. Do this enough times, and you'll need some new steering components, too!

Nels
04-04-2002, 13:12
Hey Doc! It hurts when I do this . . . . .

:confused: :D :D :D

TheMikeZ
04-04-2002, 15:31
Well...Don't do that...That will be $1,000.00, I take all major credit cards, but like cash better.

mdrag
04-04-2002, 21:17
Moving topic to 2500HD/3500 TRUCKS & DRIVETRAIN forum.

MeanGreen
04-04-2002, 21:28
I agree with the first three replies. It's a truck not a dang Rolls Royce. Yeh it cost alot, but come on simmer down.

DmaxMaverick
04-05-2002, 02:21
srubrn

The resistance you feel is designed into to system. Remember when power steering was first available on cars? You could have a tire in a rut and you could turn the wheel until it ran out of power or it broke something. There was no feedback, or "feel". This all changed in the '80s. With feedback, you have greater control, and a greater ability of recovering from an out of control situation. The resistance felt when not moving is the tire scrubbing on the ground. The added feature of hydroboost exaggerates the effect. Drive an older truck with similar equipment. It'll do the same.

It could be that yours has something wrong with it and we are just missing the point. The description you give sounds very normal. Cheers

srubrn
04-05-2002, 07:40
Ya'll be nice. I just drive the thing. I'm no mechanic. This is what I am in here for, good advice. So nothing is wrong with my truck.