PDA

View Full Version : clicking crackling wind noise

ropadopa2000
04-05-2002, 13:59
my 2500 4x4 ext cab 4x4 d/a longbox made a noise when traveling over 70 mph it sounds like a clicking or some one throwing pebles at your window.comes mostly from the right side best herd from the dash area.i have brought to the attention of the dealer and they test drove the vehicle and herd the noise and the best they came up with was putting (scary) silicone behind some winshild molding and a note that owner has added aftermarket (bug deflector and deflecta shield)parts that may effect areodynamics well havent took the stuff of to see of it makes a difference and the silicone fix made it a little quiter but has gotten worse again any help on this would be greatly appreaceated. :confused:

mdrag
04-05-2002, 14:07
ropadopa2000,

That's been the fix described for this problem in previous posts. Installing certain bug deflectors have worsened the problem. Try a search of the forums for more information.

Moving topic to the 2500HD/3500 HD TRUCKS & DRIVETRAIN forum.

310-MAN
04-05-2002, 14:07
I had the same noise on mine. The dealer took it to a glass shop & I think they re-sealed the windshield. End of problem.

bbugg
04-05-2002, 17:16
I took mine in for the same problem and the dealer told me he couldn't do anything because there was no service bulletin on it!! Are they lame ir what?? As mentioned on another post, it was suggested putting a thin 3M double stick tape under the windshield trim around both sides and the top. You can do a search on this site and get a better description of this fix.
Good luck

TimofCharlotte
04-06-2002, 19:02
I remember reading about the post with applying a small strip of double stick tape under the side molding. I experienced the noise on my first trip in, on highway speeds, and WITHOUT any bug deflector installed. It is very intermittent, but then again, I like to get the stereo rocking, and so don't always notice it. I don't think the silicone is a good idea, and most others don't, but the thin strip of double sided tape is a good idea. Be sure to clean the surfaces well with rubbing alcohol first, and try just applying a few areas, not necessarily down the whole side strip of molding. You just need to 'breakup' the long run of loosely fitted molding along the windshield. I doubt it is necessary to tape down the whole thing.

Good luck, let us know how it works out. :cool:

motovet
04-07-2002, 01:53
This was more common a few years back. My 00' had this problem and the dealer glued the moldings down to fix it. I was lucky enough to have it happen on the 02', had the same repair done the other day to fix the problem. The dealer did mention to me that my deflector should come off. I said I would be more than happy to if they wanted to spring for some of that clear stuff for the hood. If your paint is anything like mine you can show them the nasty chips that plauge these new trucks.... They will fix the moldings.

DMAXDiva
04-07-2002, 12:38
After three weeks of driving my new D/A (and absolutely loving every mile!), I too have noticed the "crackling" from the windshield area. I have yet to take this truck in for some other minor warranty issues. So, after much consternation (and a few choice words), I've found the problem. There are a pair of flimsy rubber flaps (about 3 inches by 1 inch in diameter) that cover the area over the hood hinges. You'll see them with the hood closed. The right flap is located immediately next to the antenna, with the left flap at the same location on the left side of the hood. These flaps become VERY active at 70mph plus (you can see them dance if you watch that area at speed) hence the popping and crackling noise. I assume that these things are designed to prevent water intrusion, but they are way too flimsy to keep them from flapping in the breeze...
Bottom line: after a bit of minor surgery (cuttin' those suckers off), I no longer have that aggravating noise to contend with!

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

truckin
04-08-2002, 14:42
I had the same problem after I installed a hood shield only mine started around 40 mph. I found the cure on the forum. Look at http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003024&p=. The silicon sealant worked for me. The moldings on each side of the windshield are held by four screws. I took these loose and lifted the molding enough to put a small bead of silcon under the molding. You can't see the sealant now and the noise is completely eliminated. Maybe they didn't put the sealant in the right place or use enough on yours. Good luck.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: truckin ]</p>