PDA

View Full Version : info RE:steering shaft clunky rattle thing!

MudNurI
04-05-2002, 17:24
As you all know the ol girl is suffering from the front end rattle.
here's an update of what just happened today

Truck went in for the mess in the engine compartment, the headlight that plays to its own tune, and the seat belts.

Just prior to our vacation, on our last LOF, the service manager advised John "GM has requested that we "lube" the steering component with this special super duper grease. It has worked to fix the rattle noise in other HD's and it should fix yours... let me know when you get back how it goes"....

John tells him today, that she is still noisy, so he tells John, okay have Mike go out with you, Mike being our mechanic. so Mike and John take a ride, and he says "by golly you do still have it, hmmm it has worked on every one we have done it to, wonder why yours didn't work. Our "RM" being Regional Manager, had told us that GM was requesting that we use this first, and then if it still happens, to go ahead and replace the shaft. So, John says, can you order me one? Mike: YUP

so John is just about dumbfounded, he wonders if its the new one, or if this guy is just blowing smoke... so John tell's him our story, of how I called GM directly and that they called the service manager, while I was on the phone etc... that it was suppose to be here in January etc.. still not here, blah blah, the mechanic says "No John, the new one is available"... it will be here Tuesday.

so I am now like WTF... if this super grease **** is suppose to work, and it obviously doesnt, everyone is going to have to end up getting the shaft anyway. I'm thinking that they put the grease in 2 weeks ago, and we have already put 4000 miles on it since then, so that may be why mine is noisy again? Maybe the other ones haven't gotten this many miles yet?

one last thing, is there any way for me to find out if my seat belt retractor things are REALLY on back order? seems to me, thats an ODD thing to be on backorder, I'm about tired of having messed up seatbelts, especially when my kids sit in those seats.

sorry this is so long, I'm just dumbfounded...anyone know if the NEW shaft has REALLY been released? I guess I'll find out for sure on Tuesday, if its still clunky, its obviously the old style.

thanks guys
Brandy :confused:

dmaxstu
04-05-2002, 19:03
I don't know why your dealer gave you a song and a dance. When I took mine in it went in to have the ses light turned off and I told them about the steering rattle they took the truck for a test drive, came back and installed a new intermediate steering shaft,no hassles. However the new shaft is no better than the old shaft so now I'm lurking on this forum to see if any better fixes are forthcoming. Stu

IndigoDually
04-06-2002, 16:47
I've gotten the "Lube Job" done and had the lower shaft replaced. The noise in the column is quieter(not gone), but it still feels like the left front tie rod is shot. The wheel still feels like there is a wobble when turning and on bumpy roads.

I guess I am waiting for the re-designed shaft that is supposed to be on the way.

John

MudNurI
04-06-2002, 19:53
dmaxstu-

the dealer gives me the song and dance, because I KNOW more than he does about my truck. I no longer go in and ask about a problem, I basically tell them what needs to be fixed. Along with the fact that I have NO problem going over his head, and personally calling the regional manager, etc... I don't even BS with the general manager of that dealership.. I go above them all. The song and dance I think has more to do with the fact that I'm not the nicest person to deal with when you screw up my rig. We had the oil changed, at 1K--- and they snapped the O-ring on the drain plug, needless to say my truck ran outta oil, with 1200 miles on it, and when I went back in, I was not a very nice person...hehehehe what can I say- other than I can be a great friend or a horrid enemy.

The only thing I am glad of is that they NEVER replaced my shaft,,, so I did not have to spend the time without the truck, to have it not fixed like everyone here....I guess next week I'll know for sure if it really is the redesigned one. I'll be sure to post the part ## etc. if it is

Brandy

motovet
04-07-2002, 01:33
When I took my truck in the other day to have the windshield moldings glued I told them the rattle was back after my steering shaft replacement.They took it for a ride and agreed. They got on the puter to see what should be done. I was told GM will not authorize any work to be done regarding this issue at this time. Soon maybe?

MudNurI
04-07-2002, 09:11
Motovet--

see that was the point of this, I don't understand why some of us are getting the BS that we are... 1 person gets info that its been released, another doesnt... I will find out by the end of the week if it was in deed a NEW redesigned shaft that was put in...but until then I guess we all just have to wait and see.

I may end up calling my buddy at gmcares, and see if he knows anything..course he wasnt my buddy till I called about this rattle LOL...

ill post as soon as the truck gets outta the shop I think on Tuesday, if it comes in ..

Brandy

IndigoDually
04-07-2002, 09:30
The "lube" must be working it's way out of my steering shaft because the noise is getting louder all of the time. I'll keep you posted how everything is going.

John

3176CATPOWER
04-07-2002, 11:58
If the shaft was taken apart and they used silicone instead of grease it would most likely cure the problem for the life of the truck,of course it would need 24 hrs. to cure.GM has had this problem since the new body style come out in 1999,not just the 2500 H.D..It is my understanding the noise is caused by the poor fit where the two shafts connect,not really a safety issue.My 2002 has not made the noise yet but my 2001 made it several times in the course of 18,000 miles.Tryed out several 2002 2500 HD with Duramax and they all made the noise.This problem has been around long enough,fix it G.M.!

mattb5150
04-07-2002, 12:49
3176CatPower,

Would you recommend that we do the lube TSB ourselves and use silicone sealant and let it cure for a day?

Matt B.

motovet
04-07-2002, 12:51
Dejavu , the only two problems I had on the 00' are the same two I have had with the new rig. The shaft and windshield moldings,if you don't count the paint. However the shaft replacement seemed to be the fix on the 00'. So with the old rig I drove around with a quiet windshield,solid feeling front end,and the paint held up well.The Duramax has a quiet windshield.

3176CATPOWER
04-07-2002, 13:32
Matt, I have seen the TSB on the lube cure and really think the slicone would be worth the effort if you are able to do the work yourself. I think I got the TSB off the internet, will look in shop to see if I can find it.If mine starts making the noise and GM does not have a replacement shaft that actually will fix it permament, I will definitly try the silicone.

Lone Eagle
04-07-2002, 15:19
I had this same problem with my 99 Silverado. The first time I took it in they replaced the lower shaft which did nothing. The second time they greased the sleve where the intermediate shaft comes through the fire wall. This fixed it for a few days. I went back in one more time. They said they would replace the lower shaft again. This is where I asked for a copy of the TSB. After I showed them the intermediate shaft they replaced the right one. The rattle went away permanently. Took all of 15 minutes to install the shaft. Where does the Silicone go that you are talking about? Later! Lone Eagle

3176CATPOWER
04-07-2002, 19:29
The bulletin no. 00-02-35-003A covers 1999-2002 C/K pickup models (Silverado and Sierra)states do not replace intermediate steering shaft P/N 26085548,26049343,26083324,26088325; lubricate with P/N 26098419.It goes on to show correct process for greasing the splines in the collapseable intermediate shaft.After reviewing the procedure I would not reccomend the silicone fix as it might not let the shaft move in and out of the splines sufficently especially if it had to be removed again.

mattb5150
04-27-2002, 10:12
Any updates on this topic lately?

Matt B.

MudNurI
04-30-2002, 19:35
Only update I have is that I had the crappy fly by night grease fix- and it was pure BS...rattle is still there. just as bad as before...not 1 bit better....

and the fact that I told off my dealership's general manager yesterday, may not help me get it any sooner...as of today, I called another dealership- Dobles Chevrolet, in Manchester, NH. and was told that the new shaft is not available yet..but it's soon to be released...I've been hearing that story since November 3rd, 2001...I'm not holding my breath, the worst part about this is that when someone rides in the truck, after commenting on how nice it rides, how quiet it is etc..that wow- I got what I paid for etc.. they hear the nasty rattle, and wonder how I deal with it!..

Brandy