PDA

View Full Version : Allison fluid/filter change HELP

Mudflap
04-08-2002, 13:30
Other than using the drain plug to drain the Allison, is there a better way (suction machines etc.) How much do you actually get out of the Allison to replace? If anyone has done this any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused:

mdrag
04-08-2002, 15:32
Mudflap,

Previous posts have indicated that using a commercial machine to power flush the Allison trans in NOT recommended since it may cause damage to seals/o-rings. Here is a good link to one of many previous discussions on a method to flush the Allison - SteveO has a great description of the process further down the page:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002105&p=

Also, try a forum search on this topic and I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of advice. :D

ChevysRus
04-08-2002, 15:57
It is no big deal, just pull the plug and let it drain. Make sure you have a 3+ gallon bucket to catch the fluid. It is the same as changing the oil and just as simple. Once the fluid drains you can change the trans filter, BUT BE SURE AND KEEP THE MAGNET.

If you are putting back the DEX III then just add about 8 qts and check the fluid after running the truck to get the fluid warm. Top it off as needed. Some have said you need 9 qts., but mine only took 8, must be some trapped in there somewhere, because I let it drain for 1/2 hour.

Now if you plan to change the fluid over to TranSynd there are a couple of extra steps to take to get more of the old fluid out, but if you are putting the DEX III back then not necessary, just put the plug back, install the MAGNET on the new trans filter and add the fluid. You are done.

Really a piece of cake as long as you don't lose the MAGNET! Hope you know about the MAGNET and if not then I will just say it again, old Trans. filter has a small round MAGNET fixed on the top of the filter. Just slide it off and clean it and put it back on the new filter. DON'T DROP OR APPLY PRESSURE TO THE MAGNET AS IT WILL BREAK IN HALF!

OK, just watch out for the MAGNET and the rest is just like changing your oil.

Regards,

Pizza Man
04-08-2002, 17:58
Ok so I lost the magnet...Where can I get another?

mackin
04-08-2002, 19:49
At your local Allison dealer in case you really wanted to know.......Pizzaman

If not, you got me....... GOOD ONE >>>>>
MAC :D :D

mdrag
04-08-2002, 21:26
MAGNET FOR ALLISON SPIN ON FILTER part# 29535617.

Should be about $2 at an Allison dealer. :D

Plasticfantastic
04-09-2002, 09:21
What about this little hairy metal donut stuck to the top of the filter????
:D :D

01_Duramax_Dually
04-09-2002, 09:55
HAIRY DONUT...BawaHahahahahahahahaahaha.

That is funny...I guess the more shavings present the more "Hair" it has. Mine was a Baldy. Must have shaved...HAHAHAHAHA

Lone Eagle
04-09-2002, 17:41
Nice to know we still have a sense of humor. Later! Lone Eagle :D :D

imported_
04-09-2002, 18:12
I still like the tranny machine,it hooks inline,
doesn't add any tranny pressure,the tranny pulls
the oil through,don't see how this could cause
any problems,don't have to mess with buckets,
or only get a partial change.When I picked up
a couple filters at an allison dealership last week they were using a machine on an allison
tranny in a school bus.

ChevysRus
04-09-2002, 22:12
Different Allison in the School Bus. Ours is the 1000 model and has a bunch (technical term for several) of small seals and "O" rings. We were advised by the "Big Shifter" himself not to use a tranny machine to change the fluids on the Dmax Allison as it could cause problems immediately or "later". The "later" part is what convinced me to use the "gravity" system LOL

Anyway, personal preference is the game of life, so do whatever makes you happy!

Mudflap
04-10-2002, 13:17
Thank you for the information. I am glad that Gore "invented" the Internet just so this page could exist(!) I gotta believe that DMax owners are the best informed in the world.

mdrag
04-11-2002, 11:10
I installed the deep pan/deep pan suction filter last night and switched to Transynd. Bought a 5 gal bucket of Transynd from the Allison dealer for $125, and used 4.75 gal with the disconnected cooler line. Kept a qt for future use/spin on filter changes.

1) Added 10.5 qts Transynd and pre-filled the new spin on filter after swaping pans.

2) Disconnected the FROM COOLER line, used a section of garden hose into a 1 gal pail (I had two 1 gal pails on hand)

3) Remote started/shut off after about 1+ gal out. The ATF pumps out pretty fast

4) Put in 2 gal+ or so Transynd, repeated #3,

5) Re-attached FROM COOLER LINE.

6) Check ATF level, COLD and HOT as outlined in the Diesel Supplement.

A big THANKS to Kennedy for the tip on using the remote start (previous post) to do this, worked like a charm especially when you are working alone.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

ChevysRus
04-11-2002, 11:12
GORE! who dat?

I have seen people "Gore'd by a lot of Bull", but not on the internet. Man I am going to regret this
so do I push the send buton or not?.........Oh what the hay!

I wonder if Gore would have enough sense to buy a DMAX, Noticed ol' Georgie was driving a FORD P/S on the ranch the other day from a newscast I happened to catch. Probably got it as a loaner!

Hey just kidding after all, ou know how it is slow at work today! LOL

urcndust
04-12-2002, 23:10
Getting ready to install the deep pan and change the fluids to synthetic this weekend and wonder if there is a torque sequence for tightning the pan bolts?

mdrag
04-13-2002, 09:26
No torque sequence described in the Helm's manual. I put them in finger tight, moving from corner/corner and side/side etc. Then torqued/tightened them a little at a time doing the same.

TORQUE PAN BOLTS = 20 ft lbs
TORQUE DRAIN PLUG = 25 ft lbs

Hope this helps.

urcndust
04-13-2002, 19:27
Thanks for the information, better to ask than to guess and be sorry later.