PDA

View Full Version : How much cranking for 285's?

502_Jimmy
11-04-2002, 14:50
Sorry for the newbie post..

I am looking to replace the stock tires with some 285's.
How much cranking is needed to fit these tires? Does the ride change? (ie, harsher)

Also, I have read that this size will fit on stock rims, but not well. Would it hurt to install these on stock rims?

Thanks in advance,
John

JimWilson
11-04-2002, 15:04
There's plenty that's been said on this topic, so just go back a little ways in the forums history and you should find more info then you'll ever need.

The short answer though is yes, 285's fit on the stock rims. Technically they're not wide enough for 285's, so depending upon how much air you run in them there might be a bit of extra wear in the middle of the tread then there is at the edges. I run mine 40 front and rear when empty, 50+ when loaded.

You should probably crank the tbars at least 2 turns, but that's a relative number and depends on how your truck looks now (how low the nose is to the ground). If you go more then 3 turns on either side then I'd think about an alignment if I were you.

There's much debate about ride-quality changes when you crank the tbars; some say it made it worse, some say better, some say no difference. I lean towards the better group, because that's what it feels like to me.