PDA

View Full Version : Thin skin sheetmetal box damage

Aluminator
11-06-2002, 01:27
A few months ago I posted to see if any of you had problems with the thin metal used on the box this is the outcome with GM.

I started with a local San Diego dealer and he told me to call the 800 number and good luck.

GM was nice on the phone but after a few weeks they decided that pickups are not intended to be used by leaning over the box to get things out. Have to open the gate and craw in. Damage to the box was my fault! They would not pay to fix it!!

Next step is the BBB and a mini court type trial. Put your case together and tell it to the arbitartor and see what you can get. After filing papers there to get a hearing date GM called back and said they wanted to settle for a 50-50 split. I took the easy way this time and paid my half around $400 and the truck is back to dent free. Maybe I should of gone the distance but the BBB trial also takes a lot of your time and now it is behind me.

Thanks to all for their advice.

Dennis

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2002, 01:57
Good job!

You got more than most will see in a complaint. You are probably much better off than if you had gone the distance.

Someone at GM must have developed a conscience. Can't imagine them being intimidated in the least by the BBB. The only way they could hurt GM is if they wadded up the report and hit the CEO in the eye with it.

Thanks for the report.

stretch
11-06-2002, 04:54
My guess is the bean counter finally realized that its cheaper to settle rather than sending a lawyer to the mini trial. Smooth move Aluminator, at least you got something from GM !!! :D

ChevysRus
11-06-2002, 12:04
I grabbed the side rail with my hands and placed my left foot on top of the rear tire and pulled myself up so I could climb in from the side and unload some stuff. When I was finished and went to clsoe the lid there were two very nice palm size dents in the top (flat part) of the side rail exactly where my palms were placed. This is a double sided panel of course and you can't get in there to pop /work the dents out. Body shop estimate was $800 bucks to fix and paint.

So I just close the lid and you can't see them, but it really is a shame that the metal is so damn thin especially in that location where you would think there was some strength!!!

I would add that the skin on the GM execs is thicker than the metal in their so called HD trucks.

regards,

Dmaxin
11-07-2002, 01:29
I heard that they were making the bed with heavyer gauge metal in 03s.

BLUMAX
11-07-2002, 12:48
Your not alone ChevysRus, I did the same thing, foot on the tire hop up over the bed rail, and while going over the top placed a foot on the bad rail (only about 1/4 of my 225lbs)to help me over. I was rewarded with a nice little dent for my efforts. Of course I didn't notice this until after I had climbed over the other side as well, so now I have matching dents on the top edge of the bed rails right over the tires. Boy was I pis*ed, $40K truck and cheap tin, I really love this thing, but it makes you wonder about long term durability. I'm hoping bed rail caps and a sprayed liner will tough-in-up things a bit. After all the box is the workin' end and should be a heavy gauge metal. Just my 2 cents worth ...

chuntag95
11-07-2002, 16:10
You can get one of those suction cup dent pullers I've seen on TV and see if that will work. Can't hurt.

Brian19692
11-10-2002, 21:09
I've seen some of the paintless dent removal guys hot glue suction cups on to pull dents in double wall.

AbqGeorge
11-11-2002, 00:10
'03 Sheet metal is definately thicker. On my 2001 I used a wood hole saw to make the 2" diameter hole for the fifth wheel connector. It went through there in about 20 seconds. On my '03 I burned up two of those wood hole saws making the same hole. Thought I was going to have to dig out the Dremel to finish the job.

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: AbqGeorge ]</p>

billfarmer
11-13-2002, 11:43
I think the hood on my 02 is about as thin as the bed rails. I was putting shoes on in the garage one day and leaned with my hand on the front flat part of the good and it popped in. luckily when it popped out there wasnt a problem but that is too thin

ThePend
11-13-2002, 13:04
I had several dents on the top bed rail. They should put a warning sign there saying, NO STEP, NO HOLD, NO BUTTS, NO NOTHING. I cured my problem by getting a set of bed rail covers from the dealer. No more dents and it doesnt look half bad. Then I put a Retrax system on top of that. Now it looks great. :D

conradv
11-13-2002, 17:38
I line-x'd my bed and had them spray the top of the rails right to the point where the metal starts curving down towards the outside.

Anyone know how much more stability this will give the side walls and top of rails?

BLUMAX
11-13-2002, 18:51
Being one who doesn't usually stir the pot to badly ... If the General actually did increase metal thickness as AbqGeorge suggests above due to customer complaints, then has anyone looked into some sort of damage suit or some form of compensation for us thin skinned owners? I know, wishful thinkin' on my part, but then who knows? Seems a little payolla would keep us all happy and returning customers in the future. Just up on my box and throwing my $.02 worth smile.gif

DMAX-Hunter
11-14-2002, 02:31
I have the same issue. I am a rather big guy so I have been extra cautious after my initial screw up (the put your foot on top of the tire, grab the rail and hop over)!!! But, the other day my brother (6'1" - 190 lbs) was riding in the back (sitting on the rails) while we were going through the pastures. When he got up, there were a few dents in the tops of the rails. I should have gotten the line-x liner sprayed over the rails!! Has anyone had any success with being able to stiffen these rails up with aftermarket accessories or mods? Im a little skeptical of the diamond plate bed rails (would surely think they would stiffen 'em up). I've seen too many instances where they flex when pressure is applied and scratch up the outside of the bed where the lip bends down....Any thoughts??